Lori

PC Anywhere by Symantec

I have been looking at the program PC anywhere, and I am hoping that someone here has used it and can answer a question for me.

Does the program allow you to access the "host" from your own "remote" location, and operate programs on the host computer as if you were sitting in the host's office? Or does it simply allow you to access more vital elements of the host computer, and to exchange files?

I am looking for a method that will allow me to log onto my client's computer, and operate their software as if I was actually in their office.

Lori

:)

Hi,

I have used PC Anywhere and it's fairly easy to use. Symantec products are really user-friendly. I only had one problem with it but that was because I was using it with Windows XP when it first came out. Anyhow, it will allow you to connect to the Host as if you were sitting right in front of the Host computer and run programs off of it.

Sara

Thanks for the reply Sara.

If the host computer is using a program (ie: Publisher), would I also have to have Publisher installed on my system as well? :huh: Or does PC Anywhere allow me to run directly off the software installed on the host system?

Lori

Lori,

No, you do not have to have the program installed on your own computer. It is all ran through the host computer. When connecting to the host computer via PCAnywhere, a screen will pop up that looks exactly like what is on the host computer at the time (ie if its the desktop, then you will see the actual desktop of the host computer on your screen). Perhaps you can see if they provide a trial version before you buy! Sometimes CNet offers it.

Sara

When you're accessing client's computer, it's typically connected to the server (make sure you configure it that way), anyone can work on the server from different locations.

Thanks Sara. Becki's questions were going to be my next ones! :P

Now I understand how the program works, and it is exactly what I need.

Thanks again!

Lori

Hi Ladies -

This sounds like "Go to My PC" (symantec?) -- Are any of you familiar with this one?

I have questions about security --

If we have these programs on our computers, can anyone access just anything on

our PC? or visa versa??

Thanks for any info! This other info was great to have! :thumbup:

Another program that has been highly regarded, and mentioned several times throughout the forum is ImInTouch. I have not used this yet; however, what I like about it is that only my client has to purchase the software. We both do not have to have the software. I have a couple clients who are considering purchasing this soon so I can get on their computers.

This sounds like "Go to My PC" (symantec?) -- Are any of you familiar with this one?

PC Anywhere is very similar to Go To My PC, but GTMPC is more user friendly.

I have questions about security -- If we have these programs on our computers, can anyone access just anything on our PC? or visa versa??

For GTMPC you need to have your login information in order to access your computer. So to answer your question simply, no not just anyone can access your PC.

As Naomi said, I'm In Touch is a great program. It works very similarly to both GTMPC. But it is less expensive. IIT works very similarly to GTMPC.

:D

Thanks Becky for the info!

As I understand GTMPC -- for example:

If the employer has this program, and the typist has to buy it to use it, then the

employer would give you a password to access their computer and all its programs they want you to use for the work they want you to perform. Correct?

Forgive my need for detail, but I am wondering how they limit (the hired VA or typist to do their work) just to a certain part (or only a certain folder?) of the PC?

I'm supposing it has qualifications as to which subdirectories (or folders) can be accessed by the hired typist....??

Is this how it works? Thus, preventing the hired one from seeing confidential info or causing harm to any other files on their computer (safe guards)?

Just curious and concerned how an employer would prevent access to other info they didn't want them to have access to... :whistlin:

AWSGAL/Deena

Hey guys...

Thought I'd jump in here! I just installed I'm in Touch on a clients computer, my only problem was the proxy's set up on his system.

His IT guy will be checking things out this week, so hopefully all goes well, and we can start working this way together. I'm very excited about it!!

Also...I just purchased GTMPC on Ebay, I got it for a steal, $14.00, with shipping!! Still in the box....serial numbers, etc.

So, if your looking for these programs and don't have all that cash to spill out... go to Ebay!!! Make sure you ask questions of the seller....is the box it's in opened?? Does it come with original serial numbers, etc.

kimmer :D

Kimmer

I'm trying to understand everything said in this thread.

For the program that you purchased, I take it that you load it on your computer? What do the program do for you from there.

The other programs mentioned it sounded like they only have to be loaded on the clients computer and you access their pc from the interent.

Is this correct?

Hi Melody,

With "I'm In Touch" you install it onto the computer you want to able to access.

I went to my clients computer, installed it, it will ask you to create compuer name and passwords. Then I went to my computer, went to a link they give you...punch in the computer name and password and...voila..I'm in my clients computer!

I answer/reply/forward emails....I can access files and network drives , upload download files, access contact lists, access Outlook calendar to view, modify, delete or create events, view back through any web camera connected to the I’m InTouch computer!!

HTH

kimmer biggrin.gif