Sign in to follow this  
Tawnya Sutherland

Permalinks in Wordpress

Quick note: WP's support forum tells me I also need AllowOverride enabled on the server as well ...

Guest Lisa Boyd

Wordpress 1.5 used with Apache 1.3 causes PermaLinks not to work correctly. (WP versions 2.0 and up work around the Apache 1.3 iissues but I've not had any luck trying to upgrade my WP to 2.0.4!). ANYWAY, here is the workaround if anyone has this situation:

Oh wow. I didn't realize you are using WP 1.5 either. There are quite a bit of improvements for WP 2.0. Is the WP 1.5 a one-click install or something? If there's anyway you can upgrade, that would really give you access to all kinds of features -- especially the Akismet/comment spam plugin. But I'm guessing since you are just now getting the Permalinks to work, you'll not want to mess with trying to upgrade :-)

Lisa B.

I went down this road myself just recently. I use Wordpress 2.0.

Instead of my posts being like this www.soho-life.com/blog/?p=5 , they are now names of the posts http://soho-life.com/blog/2006/08/25/atten...s-in-australia/

The main thing was I had to find out where the .htaccess file resides - it’s in the root diretory of Wordpress.

You can log into your Wordpress account, choose the Options tab, click on Permalinks, select the Date and namebased option, then click on Update Permalink Structure. Then copy and paste the code it gives you and go to your .htaccess file online (I downloaded it and opened it in notepad), paste the code and then reupload the file. I then went back and viewed my blog and it was working fine. So I’ve now done it with most of my other blogs.

One word of warning from my webhost provider - if you use MS FrontPage (as I do for two of my sites that have a blog hosted with them) FP writes to that file too - so I’m not going to tamper with that one yet till I find out if there’s a way to do the WP change.

FP uses the .htaccess file and so I don’t want to disable the FP Server Extensions or the Permalink structures so I’m reading up on that at the moment. I’ve found this reference (http://codex.wordpress.org/permalinks#Permalinks.2C_.htaccess.2C_and_MS_Frontpage) and am thinking I might have to get my webguy to make some change for me - haven’t finished going through it all yet.

Not sure if this is what you've all been going through, but it might be something else for you to look at.

Thanks Kathie,

I learned (from a post here and by trying it out) that if you set permissions temporarily on your .htaccess file to 666 then you shouldn't have to make any manual changes to it. WP will write to .htaccess automatically upon updates to the Permalink structure.

Karri

Did you ever get your permalinks to work? I'm trying to get mine to work, but I'm not there yet. The documentation on all this is so unclear. I'm trying to add pages and then have them linked on the navigation buttons.

I decided to just go ahead and create a website in WP instead of Dreamweaver, but it feels like I'm on this very steep learning curve to get this thing going.

If anyone has any good permalink tips-I'm all ears.

Angela

Hi Angela,

Are you using the latest version of WP? I discovered some quirks with the old version that affects Permalinks. One thing you could try is the wp_list_pages php function. (It's in the Codex).

In the end, I switched my theme because I got sick of "hacking" into it to make anything work right. Check out www.semiologic.com and download their CMS Wordpress theme. MUCH MUCH easier. All you have to do to customize it is create a custom.css file and upload it into whichever "skin" you are using. The functionality is just soooo much better. The Codex is great but it's far from perfect and it also assumes you know PHP in many cases.

Karri

Did you ever get your permalinks to work? I'm trying to get mine to work, but I'm not there yet. The documentation on all this is so unclear. I'm trying to add pages and then have them linked on the navigation buttons.

I decided to just go ahead and create a website in WP instead of Dreamweaver, but it feels like I'm on this very steep learning curve to get this thing going.

If anyone has any good permalink tips-I'm all ears.

Angela

I finally got it worked out and wrote about it at http://soho-life.com/blog/2006/09/10/using...s-in-wordpress/ on 10th September (our dates are in reverse to your's if you notice on my blog). Probably the same day as my last post on this subject - we're half a day ahead of you. Basically I discovered this:

Instead of my posts at www.soho-life.com/blog/?p=5 being numbers they are now names of the posts http://soho-life.com/blog/2006/08/25/atten...s-in-australia/

The main thing was I had to find out where the .htaccess file resides - it’s in the root directory of Wordpress.

You can log into your Wordpress account, choose the Options tab, click on Permalinks, select the Date and namebased option, then click on Update Permalink Structure. Then copy and paste the code it gives you and go to your .htaccess file online (I downloaded it and opened it in notepad), paste the code and then reupload the file. I then went back and viewed my blog and it was working fine. So I’ve now done it with most of my other blogs.

One word of warning from my webhost guy - if you use MS FrontPage (as I do for two of my sites that have a blog hosted with them) FP writes to that file too - so I’m not going to tamper with that one yet till I find out if there’s a way to do the WP change.

FP uses the .htaccess file and so I don’t want to disable the FP Server Extensions or the Permalink structures so I’m reading up on that at the moment. I’ve found this reference and am thinking I might have to get my webguy to make some change for me - haven’t finished going through it all yet.

I thought it would be good to do a website in WP as well so have had a play with that at http://www.acswebservices.com.

Good luck!

Kathie

Edited by kathiemt

HI Karri

Thanks so much for sharing the semiologic option. I will definitely be looking at that as an option. It does sound much better.

Kathie,

Also, thanks for sharing what you have too. I really appreciate it.

One thing that doesn't make sense to me is that when I go to update my permalinks it states that the structure has been updated. I thought that meant that my .htaccess file is being updated automatically, so I shouldn't have to manually do anything to update the .htaccess file ???

I'm running the latest version of WP-I think - it's the 2.0.4.

Also, do you know where the code resides that needs to be updated for the navigation buttons? That's another part that's not working for me-which I'm guessing has something to do with the permalinks not working.

Thanks

Angela

Things are working now!! :yay::yay: I'm so happy I'm at least moving forward. I'm so stubborn that I refuse to give up when something doesn't work - :forkoff: -I'm not sure if this is good or bad. I could've acquired a few gray hairs messing with this stuff. :blink:

I've even figured out how to add my navigation buttons and they all link correctly to the corresponding page. I'm on fire!! :thumbup:

But I'm not going to get too confident yet. There's still a lot to be figured out and with this documentation -or lack there of - I'll probably continue this uphill battle with more questions.

Just tell myself - 'baby steps' -huh!

Well, off to get dinner going.

Angela

So good you got it worked out - sorry I couldn't answer earlier. Went away for 3 days (hubby was riding in a mountain bike race) but then things were frantic for me to catch up again! :wacko:

Hi Kathie and any other WP wizards out there-

Thanks for your help and getting back to me.

So I've accumulated a few more questions about WP. I haven't done a lot of research yet, but perhaps you may already know and can point me in the right direction.

Is there a way to make the font size bigger when posting to the pages?

And how can I get rid of this line on the bottom of each of my pages?

"Posted by hayden.a | Comments (0)"

I've already turned off the 'comments' options in a few places - under the 'Options' / 'Discussions' and on the individual page itself, but it still didn't get rid of this on my page.

Any ideas?

Thanks much

Angela

Well, I thought of a solution to the font size - it's not the most effective but it'll do. I'm guessing there's any easier way than this.

I created my text in MS Word in the font size I wanted and did a copy/paste.

If anyone else knows of an easier way I'll be interested to hear.

Thanks

Angela

I've been quiet on the list of late - very busy this end and have spent much time away from my office - this should slow down soon.

But whilst I have a minute....... the templates usually have coding that set what the font type and size will be - you could probably click on each of the php blocks in the template in a web publishing program and view what the code says and make the modification - if you feel confident to do that. However, what you've done appears to have overwritten that so probably a good temporary fix.