topshelfva

New Web Site Launched - Designed by Moi

My client and I are very excited about the website launch for his company Nature's Very Own. I am pretty proud of the design I came up with, and I had the opportunity to work with others on this project. Namely, the photographer for the product. He took hundreds of pictures, the client whittled it down to about 50 or so, and I chose the remaining images for the site. I also oversaw the quality of the images and backgrounds. (I could have done the image flashes myself and the backgrounds; however, the client has a great relationship with the photographer and decided to let him handle this task.) It was a great experience working on a project like this.

Check it out! Nature's Very Own

It's a BEAUTIFUL site Naomi!!! Kudos to you!!! :yay:

So you design the whole theme of the website yourself? You don't use "templates" and such??

Hi Kimmer:

Thanks. Yes, I designed the whole theme myself. I can't stand standard purchased templates, especially when you can tell where the individual got the template. (Not to say I will never work with a purchased template, if my client insisted. I am just going to stay as far away as possible from working with someone else's template.) One of the strengths I always try to promote with a client who needs a website is that I design a site that directly ties into who they are and the purpose of their business.

I always design two templates. The client picks the one they like the most, then we tweak that design until it is exactly the way they want it. We then fill in all the rest of the website, text, graphics, links, forms, etc.

Naomi, you really do design beautiful websites. :thumbup:

Congratulations on another success!!!

Lori

:)

You definately are very creative & innovative Naomi!!

If you don't mind me asking??....I'm learning FP and I HATE those templates and themes!! Your right, everybody uses them!!

I want to be unique in my web designs!! Could you tell me a little of how you design your own?? I know your busy, so reply when you get a chance, ok.

Now, please forgive my ignorance! Do you just play around with whatever program you use? FP/DW?

Adding frames and borders and such??

Thanx!! :)

Hi Kimmer:

I use Adobe Photoshop to design my template. I then slice it through Image Ready (included with Adobe PhotoShop 7.0), and then insert the html file/table to my FrontPage. I set up one page that I call template for that website. I use that template for the rest of the site.

There is a great book by Robin Williams (not the actor), "Web Design Workshop." I would highly recommend getting it. :)

Great work Naomi!!!

I need to learn Image Ready as I still slice manually with photoshop...UGH! I'm sure it would be a quick program to learn but right now find it faster not to learn it and just do it ;)

I have put on my list here to learn Image Ready or Macromedia Fireworks (probably my best bet since I use Dreamweaver to design in and they are very compatiable.)

Tawnya

vainsiders.jpg
Get your first month for $7 using coupon code: TRYFOR7

Tawnya:

It is so simple. You really need to look into it. Basically this is what you do.

Design your template in Adobe PhotoShop, save all layers.

Click the icon at the bottom of the main tool bar to go to Image Ready.

Click on Slices.

Click on Divide Slice.

Set how many slices you want horizontally and vertically.

Adjust the slicing lines to where you want them.

(Do any optimization you want.)

File, Save Optimized As.

Save as type: HTML and Images.

You are done.

Then insert the file into your FrontPage or Dreamweaver page. You know all the rest that is involved.

Hey Kelly:

Slicing means a way to cut up an image into different sections. It helps in various ways to slice an image, speed of download (you can optimize each section to different levels), having more control over what appears in the table so it doesn't look like a table, etc.

Naomi,

There's an old saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." But I say, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks if he/she doesn't want to learn." You certainly taught this "old dog" new tricks, four to be exact! Then add in the 3 new HTML tricks I learned today...wow 7...and I'm not even in school anymore!

:girlsout: (we'll have to add a man to this one!)

Naomi,

What you have to remember is that I am used to creating websites using WYSIWYG programs (DreamWeaver, FrontPage, GoLive, etc.). Just now dabling in HTML coding and creating sites from scratch.

1) To create an indented paragraph within a paragraph

<blockquote></blockquote>

2) Creating a definitions list like you see in a glossary

<dl>

<dt> definition term

<dd> definition

</dl>

3) 2 sets of Style Tags - logical and forced