Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Edge VA

Walks like a duck....

Guest The Edge VA

Hiya...

Now we have all been down this road before... but... I just stumbled across this ad Free Xerox Color Printer too good to be true right?

BUT, it's from Xerox... by filling in my information will I be opening myself up to 3 years worth of annoying advertising phonecalls??

What do you all think?

[Edit: I found my answer... you have to buy you rprinting supplies from them... and the prices are ridiculous.... nevermind...]

Edited by The Edge VA

Not really too good to be true Ros. I have seen this before. They give you the printer, but you must buy all your supplies from them. As I recall you have to sign up front an agreement based upon what your believe your printing volumes will be per month and this will determine your monthly costs. You would need to really cost out how much the consumables would cost you elsewhere to determine whether this is a good deal or not. The benefit is that you have worry free use of a good quality piece of equipment for the length of your contract with them.

Personally, I think this is something worth considering once you have an established business with predictable volumes.

Ha Ha You must have been editing as I was resoponding.

Guest The Edge VA

hehe yes... i went and found the small print... their ink is twice what mine is on my current fairly crummy little printer... I'm hoping that I will get my laser soon... I don't need the extra headache and THOSE prices leave MUCH to be desired...

My verdict? A duck!

Ros, I know you have your answer, but the Free Color Printing Program is fabulous for the right organization. I doubt it would be beneficial to solopreneurs, but I applied for one for the association I worked for and it was the best thing we ever did. You do have to buy your supplies, BUT they last a really long time. The black ink is always free for the life of the printer, and you just have to buy the color ink. The ink is different as it is solid ink, not inkjet and not laser. It basically 'melts' (for lack of a better word) the ink on the page, and it looks fabulous. You don't have to purchase any specific amount of ink either.

The only other part of the agreement is that you have to maintain a certain amount of prints per month and report it to Xerox. That number is determined by the number of prints you specify in your application and if approved, that is the number they go by.

We had our printer at the association for about 7 years. The term of the agreement at the time was 3 years and then it is yours free and clear and you can purchase your supplies anywhere then.

So this is a legitimate program and Xerox does not hide the terms of the agreement in anyway. It is simple...you get a free printer, you buy the ink supplies from them, you report the # of prints each month and it is yours to keep at the end of the program. Hope this helps someone else or maybe even recommendations to your small business clients.

I have decided to try my best to not use aftermarket stuff (or other sources of supply) on a machine before the warranty is up! So, this fits into the cliche of There is No Free Lunch.

Zerox is probably not into the business of overcharging for supplies, but using these resources for demographics of use and marketing purposes.

I've not gotten under contract, but certainly had some strong offers from both equipment and software in the past few years that want to deliver the item at a very low cost or free in order to sell supplies.