Sign in to follow this  
Lori

Bad customer service really gets under my skin...

I was soooo mad last night!

Last Friday our programmable coffee maker went on the fritz. When hubby woke up Saturday morning, his coffee wasn't ready to go. Hubby, morning, and no coffee is not a pretty sight.

So, Saturday when he was out and about he bought a new Black & Decker programmable coffee maker. He brought it home and I ran the obligatory cleaning cycles through it and it worked fine. Saturday night, we set it up and programmed it and it was ready to go Sunday morning.

Sunday morning comes and - you guessed it - no coffee. We did everything we could think of to get this thing to work. Not only was the program not working on it, but it wouldn't even brew a pot of coffee by not using the program cycle.

Fortunately, we hadn't got rid of our old coffee-maker so we brought it back in out of the garage and gave it a good whack! :bash: and surprisingly, it started working again. :yay:

Now, the store that hubby bought the coffee-maker from said that all warranty claims had to go directly to the manufacturer - the store did not deal with these matters themselves. Which was fine, because how often do you really buy something new and it doesn't work right off the bat? Needless to say, the store says that this is a warranty issue and they will not deal with it - they told us we have to go through the manufacturer.

So, last night I got on the phone to the Black & Decker warranty department. I think it was the first day on the job for the guy I was talking to because every answer I had to his questions, and every question I asked, he had to put me on hold for. Eventually, he told me that I had to take the coffee-maker back to the store where it was purchased from. I explained to him that they would not deal with it and told us we had to go through him.

After about 30 minutes on the phone, I was transferred to a supervisor and I told her the situation, and that we no longer needed this coffee maker, which is defective, and that we wanted to return it for a refund. You know what her response was? "You didn't buy it from us so we cannot refund your money!". I said, "This is Black & Decker I am speaking with isn't it?" She agreed it was but said that, because we bought it through a retailer, (and not directly from their warehouse) that the retailer had to deal with it.

What the???? I was so angry! I told her that I would never buy another Black & Decker product as long as I lived and asked her if she was willing to lose an entire family's lifetime business over a $70 coffeemaker. She just kept saying, "We will not refund your money".

What's the point in having a warranty??? And where the *%^&$*# is customer service now adays?

Still disgruntled...

:)

I'd boycott both B&D as well as the store that sold you the coffeemaker. Well, don't boycot the store until you go in with your receipt (or without, it doesn't really matter) and DEMAND a refund on the product THEY sold you. If they try to pawn you back off to the manufacturer tell the store that the limited warranty that comes with the coffeemaker covers repairs, not refunds, and it's the retailer's responsibility to take a return no matter what the reason you decide to return the product.

It really bothers me that stores as well as manufacturers don't take any accountability and it seems the warranty system is set up not to help the consumer, but to keep running the customer around in a circle until they eventually give up and then everyone gets to keep their money - except the consumer.

Edited by jennydecki

My father had that problem with Circuit City and a huge HDTV. Circuit City said it was the company's problem, the company said it went on the Circuit City warranty... finally the company took pity on him. We all learned, NEVER buy an extended warranty from Circuit City, because they don't honor it and bilk you for hundreds of dollars.

Guest TerryGreen

If you purchased it through a store, most stores have a 30 day return policy. I would simply return it and get my money back. It doesn't matter why you're returning it, as long as you have the receipt and it's within the return period. I wouldn't say a thing about warranties, not working, or anything. Just tell them you don't like it and you want a refund.

Warmest regards,

Terry

I actually thought about that Terry. But then I realized that they would probably just put it back on the shelf for re-sale and then someone else would be faced with the same problem and probably the same run-around. I couldn't do that to anyone.

The store is stead-fastly refusing to take it back based on the fact that they had it clearly posted that all warranty matters must go through the manufacturer.

Today will be interesting though...hubby has boxed up the coffee-maker and has taken it with him on his running around today. He will be stopping into the store with it. Can't wait until he gets home at about 5 tonight to see what happened!

Guest TerryGreen

I hope your husband is successful in getting a refund. I could see the store's policy regarding warranties if you were asking for them to fix it, but if you ask for a refund, technically, they should be obligated to refund your money with no questions asked ... as long as the product is being returned within the allowed refund period. Obviously, the store you're dealing with doesn't understand that it's easier to give a refund and return the product to the manufacturer themselves than it is to repair a bad rep for customer service. I'm dealing with the same type of issue with the company I purchased my office furniture from. Let's just say that I'm not a happy camper. One of the pieces literally fell apart at the bottom due to poor design, but since it didn't fall completely apart until after the 120-day return policy, the company refuses to exchange or return the piece. They did give me a 50% discount, but I'm still out a good bit of money and have a less than perfect piece. Fortunately, my husband was able to take it apart and rebuild it ... but that doesn't make it better, just workable. To top it off, I got the final piece ... my desk of all things, last Wednesday. It was only on back-order since April. We're putting it together today and see that one of the pieces is cracked where the screw goes in, so it's back to square one. This time, I'll get the piece replaced in plenty of time (hopefully), but the desk will be minus the return until it arrives. Did I tell http://www.homedecorators.com that I would shout my intense disappointment to the rooftops and over the Internet to everyone I know? Of course I did. It's a shame too, because the furniture is beautiful, and everything else looks great.

I took a look at the website, Terry. Their furniture looks gorgeous! Very nice. Hopefully you will get the problems with them rectified to your satisfaction.

So many companies have lost sight of how important good customer service is. And then again, so many companies wonder why they have a hard time keeping customers. You would think that at a corporate level they would understand the connection.

Having said that, I run into individual people all the time who are rude, insensitive and uncaring. I'm naturally a very upbeat, positive person who views each obstacle as a challenge rather than a hurdle, and I don't let these types of people affect me negatively.

For example, I was at the checkout of a Shopper's Drug Mart a few weeks back. There was a lady ahead of me - probably late 40's in age. When the cashier rang up her purchase she found that she was $0.75 short of being able to pay for it. I took a quick glance at what she was buying - it wasn't junk - so I went into my change and took out $0.75 and gave it to the cashier. The cashier looked at me like I was from another planet but didn't say anything. The lady herself didn't look at me, didn't thank me, didn't say anything. The cashier gave her her receipt and she walked out the door without saying anything. I thought that was very rude. Afterward, I thought that maybe I had embarrassed her. But there was nobody else around, just the 3 of us, so there was no real reason for her to be embarrassed. I know if someone had made the same gesture for me, embarrassed or not, I would have thanked them kindly.

Something I will do once in a while, just for my own "feel-good" lift and for fun: when I go through the drive thru at Timmy's to get a coffee, I will ask the cashier how much the order is for the person behind me. If it is just a coffee or something small, I'll pay for them as well. Then I tell the cashier to let them know that I told them to have a great day. The cashier in turn, tells the person behind me that I've paid for them and told them to have a nice day. It's a lot of fun to see people's reaction to this, and I feel good for doing something nice and unexpected for someone else. I've had people I have done this for follow me to thank me, pull up beside me and wave, and one even rolled down his window and told me to have a great day too!

(Hmmmm, got off on another tangent there....) :)

You're right Lori - I don't think it's just companies that lack customer service / good manners.

I'll go to WalMart, the mall, or anywhere and, if I pass by someone that is looking for something, I'll help them out or say excuse me. People cut right in front of me all the time and keep walking. Has anyone ever heard of manners? Please, Thank You, Excuse Me, Your Welcome, Pardon Me - these are all things that I grew up knowing to say and being polite.

I think that is a very nice gesture on your part to assist in paying for someone else. It does feel good to help out. Sometimes, doing something nice for someone, they just don't know what to say or how to say it.

Patty Dost

Time Is Of The Es-Cents . . . Saving Your Business Time and Money ~~~ Virtually

Interested in Subcontracting with Virtual Assistants? Here's the ebook that will assist you.....The VAs VA

QUESTION :: What do VAs do when they've got big plans but don't know where to start?

ANSWER :: They download the VAnetworking Kick Start Package!

It's FREE :: It's FUN :: And you'll get something DONE :: Download yours now.

It's hard to tell what motivates some small businesses. You should have been able to return the item under any circumstances, without any "good story" within at least a 3 day "buyers' remorse" period.

Once my daughter and I bought a little 'walk-man' type player for my mom while she was in the hospital. We were both stressed at dealing with grandma's issues and were particularly stressed when we couldn't get a tape into the darn thing. So, we took it back to WalMart --- This thing won't work. The lady was really nice and accepted our box, sent us back to the display to get another. We, bristling, told the boy there that we wanted one that "worked" we wanted him to TEST it. So, he kindly did, and in his steps to insert the tape, removed that little plastic block put in for protection during transportation, and popped a tape in. We, two blondes, looked at one another, thanked him, took our package and left quietly. We received excellent customer service and if they caught on, they extended the customer service to not letting on to us. :yay:

I've been working 8 days non-stop so haven't had too much time to visit here!

Hubby did well. He took the coffee pot back to the store and told the girl at the checkout that it didn't work. She just gave him his money back without question! I guess she hadn't read the signs in the store, or she was a new employee, or something. He had no trouble at all. He lucked out! :thumbup: (I asked him if he winked at her :P ).

When I had called the store previously, they adamantly refused to even consider taking it back!

So, we are back using our old coffee-maker, nice hot coffee in the morning, and it's like nothing ever happened. Except for the fact that I'll still never buy Black & Decker again!