Sign in to follow this  
Agent Solutions

Positioning a Web Page

Hey there all you web design gurus.

While surfing on the net I have come across a number of websites that appear to be using only the center of the screen as opposed to utilizing the whole screen.

My questions are:

1. What is the advantage to doing this?

2. What would I have to do (in Frontpage) to set it up so a site would be like this?

Thanks. B)

Jennifer

1. What is the advantage to doing this? - pretty much personal preference (the shorter and more narrow you make the page, surfers who have a lower res (800x600) will have to scroll less)

2. What would I have to do (in Frontpage) to set it up so a site would be like this? - your entire page needs to be nested inside a table and then that table needs to be set to center instead of default (left justified)

HTH :thumbup:

Thanks Dale I'll give that a try and see if I like it. Some sites I think look good centered like that and others not so much.

I'll let you know how it works out.

B)

Jennifer

Jennifer:

One thing you need to make sure to do when you do this is that all your tables, including the nested table need to be in the same format. i.e. table percentage, cell percentage, or table pixel, cell pixel. If you don't do this, it will cause havoc in some browsers, namely Netscapes family of browsers.

I learned this the hard way. In one way it was a great mistake. It was so messed up that I ended up having to redesign my site, to what you see today, which is 100% better than what I use to have.

The other advantage of using the middle or middle and left only is that for people like me, who forget to setup their print options, quite often the ends of lines go off the page when printing. Using the middle column prevents this happening.

Thanks All!

Just one more question :huh: What do you mean by the term "nested"? Do I create one table, center it and then put all my other tables, text and graphics within that table? Am I on the right track or am I way out in left field?

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer:

You pretty much have the right idea. A nested table is a table within a table. If you look at the website I just designed, the health and benefits page, the table at the bottom is nested inside a cell of another table. The outside table has five columns, and I placed a nested table in the fourth column. sample of a nested table

You can have several nested tables, though the more you have, it affects the load speed of your site. You can also have a nested table, and change it so you cannot see the borders of the table. This is what I did for the bulleted text. I found on some browsers using the <ol><li></li></ol> tags causes problems because I was using a graphic I designed for the bullet. There isn't a problem if I am using a regular bullet.

Hope this helps.

That's awesome Naomi Thanks!

I'm going to play around with it this weekend and will let you know how it goes.

BTW, Great site. :yay:

Jennifer