Sign in to follow this  
Guest Danielle

Standing on the Edge - Ready to Take the Plunge

Guest Danielle

Hi everyone,

As might be obvious from the username, my name is Danielle. I am located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and presently planning to move away from my 9-5 Legal Assistant job to become a VA.

So far, I have been reading, researching and taking small steps towards starting my business. I've thought up a name, registered my business and reserved my domain name.

Recently, I met with my accountant (who is terrific I might add) and she posed two challenges to me in the next month which are to print my business cards and secure my first customer.

Although I'm nowhere near launching my website, I've decided to make my first goal earning enough money to buy the software to produce my site.

Anyhow, just wanted to introduce myself and I had one other question: do most of you use "Virtual Assistant" as your job title or because it is your own business, do you use other titles? I'm trying to come up with something unique. Not too subservient and not too over the top. Any ideas?

Edited by Danielle

Hi Danielle!

Welcome to the forums, and more power to your decision. I'll also be on the same path as you by next year, and that'll be 11.18.07. Good luck!

Gabs

Welcome Danielle!

I'm sure you'll find VAN to be a wealth of useful information as you take the plunge :)

I look forward to your contributions and wish you all the best.

Hi Danielle,

Welcome to VAN.

As far as titles go. I use "owner" on my business card...but my business is plural, The Hidden Helpers. Sometimes I call myself an editorial virtual assistant, sometimes a ghostwriter or editor, depending on the situation.

Congrats on the start of your business.

Welcome, Danielle! I also was a legal assistant. Do you plan to target attorneys? I'm a bit brain dead at the moment - my 3 month old has been very cranky!! - but if you have a specific target clientele, it may be easier to come up with a unique title.

Guest VTurley

Glad to meet you, Danielle.

I think you'll really enjoy the forums here as there is so much knowledge and information available. The support is wonderful also!

My partner and I use the title Co-Owner and Founder on our business cards. And, my opinion would be not to spend too much money at the start to create your web site. There are some great hosting companies out there that don't charge an arm and a leg. They all have templates you can use to get started. When you're better established, then you might consider purchasing something that will draw in more clients.

Good luck on your new venture! It's scary, but thrilling, isn't it?

Welcome to VAN Danielle!

I don't know if this is a Canadian thing but I use "Principal." Or you can say "Principal / Virtual Assistant." Just another way to say it ;)

By the way, if you are going to purchase website editing software, strongly consider Dreamweaver. You can take a course for $129 on Dreamweaver at http://www.ed2go.com

Best of luck to you,

Karri

Welcome Danielle! :welcome:

You're going to love it here. VAN is full of great information and wonderful members!

I use the title Virtual Assistant on my business cards to make it a little clearer what I do, but sometimes I use Owner in my email signature line, depending on the recipient.

Dive right in...the water's just fine! Best of luck with your new venture! :)

Angela