Sign in to follow this  
Simply Dunn

Another Canadian

I'm also new to the VA world. I live north of Toronto, Ontario. I just finished registering my business name, web and email addresses. I am currently working on my business plan. I hope to start marketing myself hard-core as soon as I get through the Holiday season. By then I should have my website up, and my hard-copy marketing materials designed and printed. I am currently on maternity leave and have 7 more months to go. I'm hoping to have things up and swinging by the time my leave is over so I know for sure if this is going to be lucrative or not.

Do you think 7 months is a realistic timeline?

Hi,

Welcome to the forums! For one, you can make a lot of things happen in 7 months. Depending on your capabilities and how effective your marketing is, you may find yourself flooded with orders within a very short period of time. Though you may not be able to handle them as much as you could given your condition, it'll be enough for you to get a glimpse of how this will work out for you in the future. Not just for the money, but more importantly, how you feel this career will fit with your current lifestyle and future goals. Would be good to take your time to get a feel of your new business and enjoy it.

Good luck on your business, and I hope everything turns out fine. :)

Gabs

Hi and Welcome to VAN!

I've seen some VAs that have a full business within 4 months. It's just what you put your mind to doing.

Also, if you could go to "my controls" and add a 2-line signature, that would be great. Then we wouldn't have to just call you "Simply Dunn" ;).

Good luck and I look forward to getting to know you.

Patty

Patty Dost

Time Is Of The Es-Cents . . . Saving Your Business Time and Money ~~~ Virtually

Interested in Subcontracting with Virtual Assistants? Here's the ebook that will assist you.....The VAs VA

QUESTION :: What do VAs do when they've got big plans but don't know where to start?

ANSWER :: They download the VAnetworking Kick Start Package!

It's FREE :: It's FUN :: And you'll get something DONE :: Download yours now.

Welcome...from one Angela to another! :welcome:

I just replied to your other thread, and I thought I'd stop by to give you an official welcome here too. I'm glad you found us! You're going to love it at VAN!

Jump in and let us know how we can help you!

Best of luck! :)

Angela

Edited by Angela Smith

Welcome Angela!

I also started my business while on maternity leave. Here's my timeline:

January (6 months post-partum) started researching

February purchased Virtual Assistant Start up Kit

March received Virtual Assistant Start up Kit

April joined http://www.VirtualAssistantRevolution.com

May hired http://www.SignatureWorx.com to design my logo, business cards and Web site

June enrolled in http://www.VATraining.com and opened for business

October total of 120 billable hours per month

November my business is full

Almost impossible to work with a 15 month old but I am living my dream.

Can you start a business in seven months? Absolutely! You'll get out of it what you put in.

Wow Jaimee that's impressive!

Hi Angela, another VA here who firmly believes that it is possible to set up your business while on maternity leave.

Only thing is, I wasn't on maternity leave, I was 33 weeks pregnant with my third child. I have been the business administrator for my husband's IT business for the last 3 years and was only doing about 3 hours a week. I needed a change and was looking for a challenge (like three kids under 6 isn't challenging enough :blink: )

So I applied for a 'job' in the local paper and was offered it as a subcontractor position. My daughter was born 2 weeks early (38 weeks so not premature or anything) only thing is she was born with breathing problems and was unable to maintain her body temperature. She was sent to the nearest NICU 3 hours away from our home when she was 17 hours old. We stayed at the NICU for 4 days before being flown back to our home town hospital where she stayed for another 11 days. She was also diagnosed with Congenital Hypothyroidism 7 days old. At 5 weeks of age she contracted Whooping Cough and RSV+ Bronciolitus. So back into hospital on the oxygen for 10 days.

I managed somehow to retain my 'first' client and after all the dramas, felt that I didn't want to work for anyone other than myself. Life is too short and my children are too precious.

My business is slowly building up but I have a lot to learn and I do that from reading the posts here.

Can you build your business in 7 months? Most definitely, just don't place too high an expectation on yourself. Set realistic goals, purchase the VAC or something similar and go for it! :yay: You won't regret it!

:welcome: to a fellow Canuck!!

7 months seems like a very realistic time line to be fully operational but you might want to build in a "buffer" in terms of profitability/income potential. Will this business need to support the household on its own, or is there another income stream coming in?

Just make sure to plan for cash flow "shortages" in case the client roster doesn't fill up quite as quickly as you expect.

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing you around the forum!

Karri

Hi and Welcome Angela!!

North of T.O? Whereabouts?

I'm wayyyyy North...New Liskeard, know it?

Kimmer

Hi Angela and welcome to VANA, it is nice to meet you.

Congratulations on your new baby and new business.