buckeyeva

Any VA in Ohio?

Hello, Stephanie!

I remember your moniker from before, but I may not have said hello pre-disaster! What part of the Buckeye state are you in? While I live in Michigan (no, I'm NOT a Wolverine fan!), my family is from south of Columbus.

I also know there are a few other VAs on VANA who reside in the Buckeye state, and I'm sure they'll be on here in the near future!

I'm sure you're familiar with the layout of the land, so you'll know to ask questions!

Tena

Guest TerryGreen

Hi Stephanie,

I'm in Baltimore, Ohio ... about 20-30 miles SE of Columbus.

I'll vouch for Tena too. She's okay even though she lives in that "other" state.

Weren't we talking about trying to get a group of us together some time ago? I'm still game if everyone else is.

Hello!

It's nice to meet some other Ohio VA's!

I have some questions, in Ohio, are we supposed to have a Business License and if so, which license do I get? I went online and there are 100's of business licenses available but I didn't see any explanation as to which one was right for my VA business. Also, could you share with me some of your most helpful/favorite VA forums? I live in Northeast Ohio (Tuscarawas County). It's a pretty nice place to live. Oh, have any of you joined the Chamber of Commerce? I've been debating that lately...just wondered if it would be useful or a waste of money. What's your opinion as a VA?

Thank You,

Stephanie

Edited by buckeyeva

Hello, Stephanie!

I remember your moniker from before, but I may not have said hello pre-disaster! What part of the Buckeye state are you in? While I live in Michigan (no, I'm NOT a Wolverine fan!), my family is from south of Columbus.

I also know there are a few other VAs on VANA who reside in the Buckeye state, and I'm sure they'll be on here in the near future!

I'm sure you're familiar with the layout of the land, so you'll know to ask questions!

Tena

Tena,

"Hi" my name is Teresa. I read on this forum that you are an "Ohio" girl. I live in the Hamilton, OH. area and was looking for some advice.

I read in the May issue of Reader's Digest an article on Virtual Assistance and thought it sounded interesting. I have three small children (twin 3 year olds and a five year old) and with rising gas prices, have come to the conclusion that we need extra cash. This sounds like a way for me to work out of my home, and still be able to watch the kids without having to put them in daycare. Those costs are outrageous. Is there any advice you could give me? How did you learn how to become a VA and how did you learn what to do? I would appreciate any help you could be.

I'm totally lost and extremely new at this.

Thank you for your time.

Teresa

Hello Tena,

I live in Northeastern Ohio...Tuscarawas County :naughty: (I just love these little smiley faces)

As a VA are you willing to share some of the networking groups that you utilize?

Talk to you soon,

Stephanie Fish

Buckeye VA

Guest sanford.1
I would love to get to know other VA in Ohio! Anyone interested please let me know.

Stephanie Fish

Buckeye VA :thumbup:

Hello Stephanie,

my name is Laurie and I am with Young Business Development. We are located in Columbus, Ohio in the Easton Towne Center Area. We supply VAs directly to our clients and are also available for subcontracting. If you need anything please let me know, I would be glad to help you! Nice meeting you and the others on this forum.

Guest VAmama

Hello Buckeyes!

I am in Cleveland (recently moved form Columbus). If there are any VA's by me I'd love to get together. But till then we can just chat. I am so new and still reading/learning as much as I can. There are a lot of VA's in O-H-I-O, like 25 or so registered here. Some sates have like 2 or 0. I'm origionally from Michigan, I know don't boo. But Ohioians do have much more team spirt. I told my cousin that who is a huge MI fan and she got so mad :forkoff: , but it's true the cat's out the bag. Ohioans love their teams more than MI folk :whistlin: . Not that it matters much to me, I don't follow any sports. I see some other states have local VA groups, maybe we can get one going? Anyone interested? :thumbup:

Hi Go Buckeyes! I love football season! High school, college, pros...yes I admit to being a Cleveland Browns fan. I spend a lot of time in Michigan...I support their Department of Tourism. My relatives are located all over Michigan - it's my mom's home ground She, like me is a participant of the Mackinaw - St. Ignace Labor Day Bridge Walk. This is the bridge that connects the Lower part of Michigan to upper part of Michigan.

:blush: I am an Ohio VA ....newbee, emerging VA. I am located in a community called Amherst locacted 25 miles east of Cedar Point, yet 30 miles west of Downtown Cleveland. Thanks to a position elimination and corporate restrusture from a financial institution, I am attempting to take all those skills, make them better, and be my own boss. I currently find myself in the learning stage - but also in the, gee I need a little more education stage. OIVAC has taught me that I still need to keep on-hand a part-time occupation (yuk) while I market and share to Northeastern Ohio, the Virtual Assistant concept. I guess you could say I am looking for those occupations that hire work @ home virtual agents...unemployment runs out soon.

In the previous employment in an Corporate Security Services area, I used to support the employees who used "REMOTE ACCESS" to due their occupations for the employer in order to WORK from REMOTE locations; I was considered a CSR in my department and I answered questions that came from the call center. Some of which I did via REMOTE ACCESS when I was not inside the company's brick-n-mortar buildings. I supported 50 states, some parts of Canada and some off-shore personnel.

I used to maintain an Internal Company Intranet commmunity that provided the facts regarding Remote Access as it related to my former employer...I guess I am doing the same thing now, but to share about the Virtual Assistant industry. A work in progress. When I share with people that I am in a career transtion and where I am going I hear these words, "You want to do what?" I have returned to the basic wording I used to repeat day in and day out, when I was working, "REMOTE ACCESS".

As a former LCCC (Elyria OH) alumnus, I need to go back to school and re-tool. When I attended the LCCC Employment Expo in April, (there was nothing for secretarial or Administrative Assistants), I specifically went to visit the Entrepreneurship Innovation Institute representative. She already remembered me because I have already attended some informational seminars specifically for employers/small businesses. She looked at me and said, "I saw you in class last week, what are you doing here?" My answer, "cash flow". I also stated, I am here to speak to an EII representative. I am prepared with printouts of everything I could find on schooling for Virtural Assistants. I would like to leave the information with you". To say she looked at me stunned is an understatement.

There are two schools in Ohio -who offer Virtual Assistant course work. One of them is located in the Toledo area - (no online courses, darn): Owens College. The other is through Raymond Walters, who has partnered with the University of Cincinnati. LCCC has a parntership with several colleges in Ohio - not with University of Cincinnati. I tried to show LCCC-EII that if they are willing to partner with the Center for Legal Studies in Golden, Colorado, (these are courses I want to take) they should also partner with those schools that teach Virtual Assisting. Until LCCC & Entrepreneurship Innovation Institute sees the need to partner with one of the several schools that are available, anything I provided will go on deaf ears.

In this area, I have noticed the acronym VA represents the words, "Veterans Administrataion". The same is true for acronym MVA which represents the words "Motor Vehcile Accident". I have found that I must state the words "Virtual Assistant" and provide the definiition of what it is and what it is not.

I too would like to meet with other Northern Ohio Virtual Assistants and/or Virtual Office Assistants (newbees, emerging VA and/or veterans)...we need to join forces! :thumbup: A Northern Ohio VA meeting group would be awesome! I think of anybody living in Amish Country as being NORTH of Columbus. If you near Akron/Canton area seems you are part of Northeastern Ohio.

Krista Gable (newbee - emerging VA)

Notary Eagle Professional Services LLC

Research is my niche! It's the thrill of the Hunt!

Virtual Assistant: Document Delivery Services

**On the watch for Identity Theft & Fraud - Security is everybody's job!**

www.notaryeagle.com

Guest TerryGreen

Hi everyone ... as I said before, I'm about 30 miles SE of Columbus. If anyone would like to see about finding somewhere central to all of us to meet for lunch or something, I'd be interested in the possibility.

And ladies ... please note that forum rules limit signatures to two lines :rolleyes:

B) I'm on the hunt for some information from all you. I am doing a little research regarding our CAUSE to meet. Preferrably in 2007! As a person with some night blindness issues, I'd rather drive in nice weather seasons, than in the winter. How about you?

• Do we want to do this on a weekday? Or Weekend?

• Are you closer to I-71 or I-77?
    • Give me the route number coordinates that you are near
      • Do we want inexpense?
        • Do we want fast food?
          • Do we want to be waited on by a server, one who needs tips?

if you need to contact me off board: eagle429@bright.net Subject Line: OHIO VA Lunch

Thank you.

Krista Gable (newbee - emerging VA), Research is my niche! It's the thrill of the Hunt!.

**On the watch for Identity Theft & Fraud - Security is everybody's job!** www.notaryeagle.com

Guest TerryGreen

Do we want to do this on a weekday? Or Weekend?

• Are you closer to I-71 or I-77?

• Give me the route number coordinates that you are near

• Do we want inexpense?

• Do we want fast food?

• Do we want to be waited on by a server, one who needs tips?

My preferences are:

Weekend ... don't really have time right now for weekdays

I'm closer to I-71

My route coordinates are SR 158/I-70 (about 20-30 miles SE of Columbus)

I don't care about expense

I don't want fast food

Tips are okay with me ... it's just lunch :rolleyes:

Thanks Terry!

I did some heavy thinking over the weekend...I have even been studying a AAA map of Ohio and a tour book...here are the next set of questions. BTW, while looking at the map I realized you live in the same county, and north of where I was born! I should have noticed before.

• Do we want to be like the Mid-Atlantic VAs (for more than 2 hours or travel the distance just for lunch?
  • Rrestaurant with a meeting room?
  • A small-scale motel with a business meeting room?
  • Or, maybe in a small-scale motel room (kinda like when you go to a covention and everybody congregates in the "party room" B) )
  • Or, maybe inside a bed and breakfast place that caters to small business groups?
  • Is there a necessity to be connected to a cell phone, blackberry or Treo the day we meet? Which would mean we would have to meet in a location where signals of the various provider maps overlap.
  • Would the Amish country area be to far away for anybody? I know we are spread all over the state, but it's scenic drive if you do not travel often.
  • Is there any other location (forum) where the same two sets of questions should be asked of all Ohio VAs?

Krista

My preferences are:

Weekend ... don't really have time right now for weekdays

I'm closer to I-71

My route coordinates are SR 158/I-70 (about 20-30 miles SE of Columbus)

I don't care about expense

I don't want fast food

Tips are okay with me ... it's just lunch :rolleyes: