buckeyeva

Any VA in Ohio?

Hi To All Ohio Personnel:

I am just contemplating the VA business. I am a recent widow with an extensive background in administrative and middle management work. This business appeals due to the fact (a) it utilizes previous skills and (B) it requires limited personal contact. I have had a total laryngectomy (removal of voice box) due to cancer and speak with an electronic voice. I do quite well but prefer not to do consistent phone duty. Second, due to extensive surgery, I am no longer comfortable driving. These seem like heavy deterrents but I am stubbon, talented and convinced!

I am located in Cincinnati and would love to team up with other VA's. I believe there is strenght in numbers and that it is possible to retain independence while cooperating with other like indivuals.

As for a meeting, the Columbus area, during the day, would be best for me as I will need to arrange transportation. I am committed to this venture so I will try to accommodate any selection.

I can be reached privately at: paperharri@aol.com

Harriet Thurston

Paper Moon Promotions

Edited by paperharri

Hi To All Ohio Personnel:

I am just contemplating the VA business. I am a recent widow with an extensive background in administrative and middle management work. This business appeals due to the fact (a) it utilizes previous skills and (B) it requires limited personal contact. I have had a total laryngectomy (removal of voice box) due to cancer and speak with an electronic voice. I do quite well but prefer not to do consistent phone duty. Second, due to extensive surgery, I am no longer comfortable driving. These seem like heavy deterrents but I am stubbon, talented and convinced!

I am located in Cincinnati and would love to team up with other VA's. I believe there is strenght in numbers and that it is possible to retain independence while cooperating with other like indivuals.

As for a meeting, the Columbus area, during the day, would be best for me as I will need to arrange transportation. I am committed to this venture so I will try to accommodate any selection.

I can be reached privately at: paperharri@aol.com

Harriet Thurston

Paper Moon Promotions

Hello!

My name is Katie and I am trying to start up a VA business. I am from Elyria, Ohio and would love to meet with you and other VAs. I am almost finished getting an Associate's Degree in Business Administration and could use all the advice I can get. Being a mother makes this type of business ideal! I don't expect to make millions, but It would be a dream come true to be able to work at home. Feel free to contact me at anytime. My e-mail address is kmh1074@netzero.com. I have a website that is under construction right now, but you can see it if you'd like. I take constructive criticism very well. I look forward to hearing from you and anyone else in Ohio. Maybe we can all help each other. Here's my website address: www.honneyvirtualassisting.com.

TTFN,

Katie

:thumbup:

Edited by kmh1974

Hello All Ohio VA's!

As a newbie, cost is a factor for me, saying that.......the Amish counties are BEAUTIFUL, especially in late September/October.. The Dutch Valley restaurant is huge, they have a meeting room, great Amish homemade food, located in Sugarcreek Ohio. There are so many places to spend your money for that upcoming holiday season and they have numerous b&b's (which book up fast!).

Well, that's my 2-cents. Please keep me posted!

Thank You,

Stephanie

Katie - I tried to contact your netzero email address off list and got the email communication BACK. You and I are in the same county! As the crow flies about 20 minutes away. 30 minutes by car and traffic lights.

Stephanie, I am in contact with Harriet off board. Please contact me off-board, eagle429@bright.net :thumbup:

Terry - I promise to keep you in the loop!

Hello!

My name is Katie and I am trying to start up a VA business. I am from Elyria, Ohio and would love to meet with you and other VAs. I am almost finished getting an Associate's Degree in Business Administration and could use all the advice I can get. Being a mother makes this type of business ideal! I don't expect to make millions, but It would be a dream come true to be able to work at home. Feel free to contact me at anytime. My e-mail address is kmh1074@netzero.com . I have a website that is under construction right now, but you can see it if you'd like. I take constructive criticism very well. I look forward to hearing from you and anyone else in Ohio. Maybe we can all help each other. Here's my website address: www.honneyvirtualassisting.com.

TTFN,

Katie

:thumbup:

:thumbup: Hey Eagle! I go to amherst/lorain area all the time. Try this other e-mail address of mine: katie@honneyvirtualassisting.com. I have been wanting to see if I can get any mail from it anyways. It goes along with my website. I still have a lot of work to do on the site. Thanks for the quick response!

TTFN,

Katie

I tried the alternate email address too. It didn't work. I got my forward of the previous email back. :( (Maybe a LL or CL to you, you're long distance from me).

You try emailing me of board: eagle429@bright.net

Krista

:thumbup: Hey Eagle! I go to amherst/lorain area all the time. Try this other e-mail address of mine: katie@honneyvirtualassisting.com. I have been wanting to see if I can get any mail from it anyways. It goes along with my website. I still have a lot of work to do on the site. Thanks for the quick response!

TTFN,

Katie

Guest VAmama

I think it's a great idea. The more support the better. If it's a lunch I think we should have it in a meeting

or conference room as suggested so we can share information. It might be a good idea to discuss what

we all would like to learn/take away from the meeting. That way those who want to participate can bring

any info they want to share with the group. It seems a few of us that are posting are not too far from Columbus.

I live in Cleveland now but moved from Columbus a few months ago. I think a weekend date would be best also,

any more votes for Columbus? Or any other areas?

:whistlin:

Well Hi! :bighug: Not thrill with Cleveland? I used to work in Cleveland. Which side of Cleveland? West side or East side? I am a far WEST-SIDER - Amherst.

So far, from the persons I have spoken to off-board, here is my eMail address eagle429@bright.ne

The 1/2 way point appears to be near Columbus. Especially if you are traveling from Cincinnati and or Cleveland

Can you suggest any inexpensive places in the Columbus vicinity. Newbie like me near to carpool and have liminited funds available.

Say, North of Columbus, where we are near major highways that connect with I-71, I-70, and I-77.

Is it better to choose "off-season" or "peak season".

I am all ears! B) Krista

I think it's a great idea. The more support the better. If it's a lunch I think we should have it in a meeting

or conference room as suggested so we can share information. It might be a good idea to discuss what

we all would like to learn/take away from the meeting. That way those who want to participate can bring

any info they want to share with the group. It seems a few of us that are posting are not too far from Columbus.

I live in Cleveland now but moved from Columbus a few months ago. I think a weekend date would be best also,

any more votes for Columbus? Or any other areas?

:whistlin:

:) Hi...long time no chat. I have been taking care of some not so fun personal issues...caused by the State of Ohio.

Anyway, when I went to my Post Office Box yesterday, I found an interesting advertisement inside Let me quote part of it:

"Mark Your Calendar to CONNECT! "Diversity Business to Business Expo, Wed Oct 24, 2007, 8:30a - 4:30p Lorain County Communty College, Spitzer Center. Hosted by Congresswomen Marcy Kaptur and Betty Sutton...."" On the back of the card it says, "Conference focus is on supplier diversity. Minority and women-owned businesses are encouraged to attend. All small businesses looking for new business, could benefit from attending this conference...the advertisement give a lot more information - but I do not want to Violate anything on the message board. If you want to 'hear and/or read' the rest you'll need to contact me off-list...at my email address: eagle429@bright.net

To be honest, this looks and sounds like an awesome opportunity! How many Virtual Assistants (newbies, aspiring, emerging and Veterans) in Ohio are available to attend? This seems to be the type of event where we could bring out the best in our industry! We can learn from them, and they can learn something New that has been occuring in Ohio for a long time, right Terry?

If this sounds intriguing to you let me know!

Thanks - Krista

One other thing, the this event is sponsored by the following organizations: The Lorain County Urban League, Inc; Lorain County Community College (my alma mater), Northern Ohio Minority Business Council, and Multicultural Business Center.

Krista

:) Hi...long time no chat. I have been taking care of some not so fun personal issues...caused by the State of Ohio.

Anyway, when I went to my Post Office Box yesterday, I found an interesting advertisement inside Let me quote part of it:

"Mark Your Calendar to CONNECT! "Diversity Business to Business Expo, Wed Oct 24, 2007, 8:30a - 4:30p Lorain County Communty College, Spitzer Center. Hosted by Congresswomen Marcy Kaptur and Betty Sutton...."" On the back of the card it says, "Conference focus is on supplier diversity. Minority and women-owned businesses are encouraged to attend. All small businesses looking for new business, could benefit from attending this conference...the advertisement give a lot more information - but I do not want to Violate anything on the message board. If you want to 'hear and/or read' the rest you'll need to contact me off-list...at my email address: eagle429@bright.net

To be honest, this looks and sounds like an awesome opportunity! How many Virtual Assistants (newbies, aspiring, emerging and Veterans) in Ohio are available to attend? This seems to be the type of event where we could bring out the best in our industry! We can learn from them, and they can learn something New that has been occuring in Ohio for a long time, right Terry?

Thanks - Krista

Kristaa-a-a-a--a-a! Are you going? Is there a fee? Is there any website address listed on that flier? I would love to attend but need more information.

Thank You! Steph

Thanks - Krista

THIS IS IN REGARDS TO THE "DIVERSITY BUSINESS TO BUSINESS EXPO" BEING HELD IN LORAIN COUNTY, OHIO, LCCC SPITZER CONFERENCE CENTER, ELYRIA OHIO 10/24/2007

I was asked by other colleagues from a different networking group to ask Ken two questions, I thought I would share them with you all as well:

1) in order to attend this expo, do you need to be a resident of Lorain County and 2) did you need to receive a postcard (like I did).

WEB SITE FOR REGISTER: www.lorainccc.edu/expo

PER KEN WILEY, THE CONTACT FOR THIS EXPO:

" Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:07 AM

Morning Krista –

Your colleague does not have to be from Lorain County to attend. We are encouraging folks from throughout the NEO region, even throughout the state, to be active and are building our mailing lists. A postcard should not be considered a restricted invitation. We count on word of mouth, because we don’t have everyone whom we would like on our mailing list ---yet.

I have attached a pdf of the Save the Date card, if you would like to send it to other colleagues. Thanks for passing this on

Liaise away,

Ken"

I sent Stephanie the attachment off-list.

There is a cost. It is divided by the size of the woman-owned business. If you are under 10 (like me), $25 which includes meals.

If you want to place an ad in the program...$600 (out of budget for me)

If you want to have your company listed in the program directory - FREE

If we want to combine resources and funds to have a Virtual Assistant booth - $100 (for PROFIT companies)...if you are a not-for-profit, it is much less.

It states to check off whether you need electricity or not...maybe the objective should be to have a booth where you do not have to worry about extention cords....this does not mean VAs attending should have a booth...just something to think about - and sounds like a good idea.

Chat later - Krista

Hello again Ohio VAs -

Diversity Business to Business Expo". It is being held at Lorain County Community College Spitzer Conference Center....in Lorain County, Wednesday, 24 Oct 2007.

I have been in communication with the Ken Wiley the primary contact for the expo acting as liaison between my local WBON, VANA and IVAA OH VAs since mid-August. Recently, I mentioned on IVAA maybe several OH VAs should combine $$$$ resources and share a booth ($100). I was was later later asked to contact Ken Wiley again, to see if my "idea" had any merit. Mr. Ken Wiley has contacted me back.

Here is his answer: "Good morning Krista, Responding to your request for an “industry” booth, we can do this. We will ask that each VA register for the EXPO, and you can divide the cost of the booth according to your agreements.

Depending on how many of you there are, you might want to consider a sponsorship. An Entrepreneur sponsorship would provide the booth; your group could have a ¼ page ad for the group, an additional listing for each in the book; and we would provide additional registrations under that level. Again this might work depending on how many VA’s will be there as part of your group.

If you have any questions, please get back to me. Thank you for your continued interest and creative thinking. Ken Wiley"

on my website I have placed the pdf versions of the Expo Postcard and Registration form.

Krista's Website

I am attending this event...I think there should be a Virtual Assitant booth...to share with Ohio that the Virtual Assistant industry exists.

If you agree - please contact me before Friday, 10/05/2007:

Krista's Email address Thank you!

Krista