xpress assistant

Update on billing for attorneys

In my last post on this topic, I asked if any VAs were doing client billing for attorneys and what software they were using. I've been using Timeslips, have examined the software a bit more closely and have figured out that it CAN be used for as many different attorneys that will have me!

Further, for my own billing I've been using the lite version of BillQuick2006 (I may have mentioned this in a post to the "Open Source" forum). In any event, I'm very happy with it and it's also an option for me - should I obtain any other clients requiring this service. The free version is missing a few features but not enough to cause any difficulties. For instance, the "Export to PDF" function is disabled but when previewing an invoice, there is the option to export to several different formats INCLUDING PDF. Hmm......perhaps they missed that in the creation of the software.

Anyway, I've been doing remote billing for my former employee going on 6 months now and it's going quite smoothly. There are a few elements that would require adjustment to become COMPLETELY virtual but I don't see it as an issue. Bottom line, this is a service I am trying to actively and aggressively market - I've posted a direct mail postcard for feedback on the Direct Marketing forum (please comment!). If anyone has any tips or want the details of the what and how, please let me know!

Kristie:

I determined a long time ago that I did not want to be in charge of the numbers for attorneys! Not only was it not my forte in the legal field, but it was not an easy thing to configure back when I first started.

However, one of my solo's recently approached me about billing and had signed up for a TimeSlips Online account. He provided us with the login information and so far, so good! The attorney dictates their billing entries and we input them for him.

Just wanted to share the above, as it might make a great way for you to offer your services without actually storing the information on your own computer - which I feel is one reason attorneys are loathe to hand over their billing....

Kristie:

I determined a long time ago that I did not want to be in charge of the numbers for attorneys! Not only was it not my forte in the legal field, but it was not an easy thing to configure back when I first started.

However, one of my solo's recently approached me about billing and had signed up for a TimeSlips Online account. He provided us with the login information and so far, so good! The attorney dictates their billing entries and we input them for him.

Just wanted to share the above, as it might make a great way for you to offer your services without actually storing the information on your own computer - which I feel is one reason attorneys are loathe to hand over their billing....

Thanks, Andrea!! You've got a good point! Does he have paralegals billing their time, also? If not I wonder how that would work.