What Software Should a VA Have?

Hi, My name is Janetta and I have not officially introduced myself yet because every question I have is answered in this forum but I need to know how to do the remote access and you mentioned the logmein. Where do I find this. I am just gathering my equipment and knowledge for becoming a VA. I have a laptop (Vista) and the desktop (XP). I want to access my desktop from my laptop.. Help and thank you for any help you can provide.

The software you need will greatly depend on the services you are offering. Here's a quick list of the programs I use most often...

Programs I use on a daily basis:

• MS Office 2003 (mostly Outlook, Word, & Excel)
  • Quickbooks Pro (includes timer for tracking billable time)
  • FireFox & Internet Explorer (if you're working on websites, you'll need to check your work in both browsers. I use FireFox for my own internet surfing, though.)
  • Graphics software (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro X, Fireworks... I use all 3 for different things, but you could get by with just one if you aren't doing a lot of this type of work.
  • Dreamweaver (I use it almost every single day, but you may not need it if you aren't doing any web work)
  • Anti-Virus & Firewall with up-to-date virus definitions (having the programs won't help if you don't keep the virus definitions current)
Programs I use regularly, but not every day:
  • Adobe Acrobat (not just the reader)
  • WinZip (free evaluation version is all you really need)
  • MyFax (toll free fax line receives faxes for me and sends them to me via email... if you want to sign up, let me know and you can get your first month free)
  • InDesign (for dtp, but if you're just doing in-house printing you could use Publisher or a similar program)
  • LogMeIn (for remote access)
  • Quickbooks Customer Manager (contact database program)
I agree 100% with Kathie re: the need for a professional (non-hotmail/yahoo/etc) e-mail address and a good computer back-up system.

Yes, LogMeIn.com offers both free and pro versions. With the free version you can remote control your other computer(s). With the pro version you can also do things like guest invites, file sharing, file transfers, etc.

With the pro version you can also do things like guest invites, file sharing, file transfers, etc.

And remote printing! I love love love remote printing! :wub:

Oh wow you guys! This is GREAT information! Thank you sooo much. As you can tell, I am a newbie and was just working on a "budget" to obtain a lot of the items that you guys listed...but I was just listing and when I started adding the amounts up!!! Oh my!

Hi everyone!

I wanted to add to this list, if I may.

Free web-based, multi-user project management tool - 1stmanager.

Tawnya posted a great review of this software. Search for "1stmanager" on this forum and you can read her review.

I recommend it highly!

Have a great afternoon everyone!

Jo

Since I'm very "niche specific", I only use the following:

Word

Adobe Acrobat (full package, not just reader)

Palm software (This contains: contacts, calender, tasks, etc., etc. - and, I can sync my computer and Palm in no time - great for my "mobile office")

Virus software

Real email address

Doas anyone offer dictation and/or transcription services and if so, what recorder and software would you recommend?

Guest Lani

I'm so glad I ran across this thread...now I can see what I need to add to what I have! Thank you for the information!

Leilani

Aspire Virtual Assistants

These threads are great. Thanks!

It is now 2012. What's new in necessary VA equipment and software? Have any of you made any adjustments in the last while to accommodate your clients further? In what ways?

Nancy Beaton

These threads are great. Thanks!

It is now 2012. What's new in necessary VA equipment and software? Have any of you made any adjustments in the last while to accommodate your clients further? In what ways?

Nancy Beaton

Nancy, since this topic thread is almost 5 years old, why don't you start a new one for us and this old one can go into the archives :)

A VA must have a proper fast internet connectivity, basic microsoft softwares, Time tracking software, accounting/ invoicing software, Cloud computing software, and other business purpose softwares as per the business requirements.