xpress assistant

Legal Billing...

I'm attempting to take the advice of all you experienced VAs and find a focus. My one client who was previously using my services for all three of her businesses is now down to one business - I'm taking care of her client billing for her law firm where I was previously employed. (Please forgive me if I'm repeating anything I've said previously.....I have mommy brain!!) I handled the billing at the office when I worked there and I HATED IT!!! It took time away from everything else I was supposed to be doing and it was difficult to find a block of time to do it because the clients always came first. I would have loved it if she outsourced the billing and actually suggested it at one point. Now that I AM the outsource, I'm finding that it works very well for me. I always know when the billing is due so I can plan to work aound the baby's schedule.

So here are my questions:

FEASIBILITY: I've done a bit of web research and thus far have found only 3 other companies offering this service. Do you think this means it's an open market or do you think many have tried and failed?? You may already know that I'm working on a direct mailing for local attorneys.....I've also given a bit of thought to doing a poll of sorts - calling some local attorneys with whom I had a good relationship and get their thoughts. I'm not completely comfortable with that but only because I don't want to be intrusive.....comments??

PRICING: I'm currently billing her by the hour but at a special rate (for a number of reasons). The services I researched did not list their rates/pricing schedule but did mention estimates based on number of timekeepers & new clients per month. I did contact one company under the guise of an estimate request: $550-650/month based on 2 timekeepers generating approximately 150 time entries per month BUT they base their bills on hourly time spent. I wasn't able to figure out an hourly rate from that but I do think that's pretty steep. I'm spending approximately 10 hours per month on her billing with 3 timekeepers. If I were billing her my regular rate that would be approximately $250. Granted, the service I contacted also offered printing & mailing services.......Bottom line: do you think I'd be undercutting myself by charging my hourly rate? My thought was this: after 3 or 4 months of billing for a company and charging by the hour I'd then average out what they've been paying and offer them a flat rate slightly lower but only if they pay a retainer for a certain number of months - so as to guarantee a certain amount of work for myself??

WEB PRESENCE: I would still like to continue to offer my current services but I don't want the legal services buried in my website. I was thinking of creating a "division" of Xpress Assistant - perhaps Xpress Billing?? And create a "separate" website linked to the site I have already. I wasn't planning on purchasing another domain name so the site would actually be pages that open seperately from my current site with a slightly different design/layout. Is that tacky?

I realize this is a very lengthy post and I thank you all in advance for ANY suggestions and comments you may have. Everyone has been so helpful and it's greatly appreciated!

Hi Kirstie,

I can tell that you've given this a lot of thought. This certainly sounds like a viable niche to me -- but there's only one way to find out! :o

If you're already associated with some local attorneys, I think it's a great idea to request their input on this. If you think they'll feel uncomfortable giving their thoughts over the phone, you could always set up a web survey to collect the information anonymously. You could contact them by phone initially to gauge their interest, and then follow up with an email containing a link to the survey. Just food for thought!

If this is something you want to specialize in, I think it would be ideal to create a separate division for it. "Xpress Billing" would be perfect! I would actually recommend purchasing a different domain for this division though. You can always link the websites to each other, but that way each division of the company maintains its own web presence.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other ideas and advice. You may have found an untapped niche that could be very lucrative. Let us know how it goes!

Good luck! :)

Angela

Angela - I'm sorry it took me so long to respond! Thank you SO MUCH for your feedback. You're absolutely right........ya never know until you try!!!

I'm going to work on a website for "Billing Xpress" (I did a search on Google......Xpress Billing was already taken!!) and contact some of the attorneys I know and as soon as I get paid for some work I've already done :( I'm going to do that postcard mailing.

I'll let you know how it goes!!

Hi Kirstie,

I can tell that you've given this a lot of thought. This certainly sounds like a viable niche to me -- but there's only one way to find out! :o

If you're already associated with some local attorneys, I think it's a great idea to request their input on this. If you think they'll feel uncomfortable giving their thoughts over the phone, you could always set up a web survey to collect the information anonymously. You could contact them by phone initially to gauge their interest, and then follow up with an email containing a link to the survey. Just food for thought!

If this is something you want to specialize in, I think it would be ideal to create a separate division for it. "Xpress Billing" would be perfect! I would actually recommend purchasing a different domain for this division though. You can always link the websites to each other, but that way each division of the company maintains its own web presence.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other ideas and advice. You may have found an untapped niche that could be very lucrative. Let us know how it goes!

Good luck! :)

Angela

Kirstie:

I have only known one company to offer this service to attorneys and do so successfully and that's Jeanine O'Connoll of TimeBillers (www.timebillers.com). I deterimined a long time ago that I did not want to get embroiled in lawyer's $$ ... so crossed it off my service list!

I do have one client (a solo) who uses LegalTypist to dictate his time entries, which we then log into a web based TimeSlips account and put them in there for him. That is the extent of it though.

I took a quick peek at your website and I think it looks fantastic! Can you perhaps check back in and let us know how you are doing?

Kirstie:

I have only known one company to offer this service to attorneys and do so successfully and that's Jeanine O'Connoll of TimeBillers (www.timebillers.com). I deterimined a long time ago that I did not want to get embroiled in lawyer's $$ ... so crossed it off my service list!

I do have one client (a solo) who uses LegalTypist to dictate his time entries, which we then log into a web based TimeSlips account and put them in there for him. That is the extent of it though.

I took a quick peek at your website and I think it looks fantastic! Can you perhaps check back in and let us know how you are doing?

I apologize for the delay in response, Andrea! I've been ill and am only now starting to get back on my feet.

I came across Jeanine's services & site while doing my research of the legal billing field and she does appear to be the most prominent service provider in this area. I still wasn't certain about focusing my services in this direction but right before I became sick I had several inquiries within a one week period. I followed up and these individuals didn't pan out but I'm taking those inquiries as a good sign. Legal billing would actually fit into my (read: my son's) schedule much better than anything thing else at this point. I'm still handling the billing for one attorney and outsourcing vs in-house billing she's realizing is quite cost effective for her.

I've JUST hooked up with a mentor (who is absolutely awesome) through IVAA, I'm starting to feel better so I'm working on getting back out there. I'll keep you up to date on my progress and thanks for the comments on my website!! The compliment is greatly appreciated!!