Sign in to follow this  
Agent Solutions

How did you start out as a VA?

How did you start out as a VA?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Virtual Horizons

I had heard about the VA industry back when there was hardly any info available for Canada. It was always at the back of the burner as an option to be a SAHM when that time arrived...which it did last year. My business partner (who still works full-time) and I decided that it was time to get the ball rolling. We haven't had our one year anniversary yet however it is amazing how many prior contacts we had that are utilizing our services. I also agree that when you don't have that steady income from a job it is a great motivator to get your butt in gear and start working on your biz!

Hi,

I started a part-time VA business in January 2007. The goal is to work in the business full-time within 18 months. The challenge will be affordable medical insurance and having a client base that generates enough income to pay medical insurance premiums, cover expenses and save.

It's challenging working full-time and running a part-time business, but the business gives me a sense of personal and professional satisfaction that I haven't had in a long time.

I'm glad I followed my passion even though it may take awhile to build up client base.

Happy Administrative Professionals Week!

Warmest regards,

Roz

It's challenging working full-time and running a part-time business, but the business gives me a sense of personal and professional satisfaction that I haven't had in a long time.

Roz

Interesting comment Roz but one I fully equate with. I found myself frustrated, anxious and unfulfilled in my fulltime job of nearly 14 years ago. And yet, since being in business for myself, whilst I might have experienced other emotions and feelings, I can definitely say I feel fulfilled, satisfied and content with my choice. I love what I do with a passion and I'm told it shows.

Guest Chai

WOW

All this is very promising!!! I work for a company that has a very emotionally toxic environment where I am told almost everyday that my job is in jeopardy due to downsizing and reorganization. I have been looking for the past week into starting a VA business, but have been afraid to do so since I am a single mom. But I can't continue to commute to this job, raise my two kids AND pay bills.

I am going to have to start out part-time until I can get my client base built up. Yes I know that is a catch 22 situation, but I am living paycheck to paycheck, and cannot afford to be without for any amount of time right now. I know this sounds bad, but I am hoping that I do get laid off, so then I can start this up while I am on unemployment.

One thing I am running into is that I have absolutely no money to "start up" I am trying to find ideas on my proceedures, billing forms, contracts, questionaires ect... but keep running into these "pay for.." Does anyone have a suggestion on where I can find these? What about subcontracting? Should I answer the RFP's even if I don't have all my forms yet?

I know I am bombarding with questions, but there is SO much to do and not much time to do it in.

Chai

Guest KathleenJoan
Happy Monday Everyone!

I began my VA career in 2002 after being down-sized a second time. I did go back to work (twice) once part-time and once full-time to make 'ends' meet. Within a few weeks of working full-time I realized I could not give MY business the time needed to build it by working full-time. I left that position 3 years ago and have not looked back. Well, maybe once, to keep me motivated in moving forward :thumbup:

I just joined this today, but I don't understand many things about it. How do I start? I mean, what exactly did you do to begin? I have excellent administrative, PC, proofreading, editing skills, and live in a rural area in Central Minnesota. I've been the 'traditional' secretary, administrative assistant, and proofreader, in the past and would love to start my own business, but don't know how and where to begin. Help! Thank you. KathleenJoan

One thing I am running into is that I have absolutely no money to "start up" I am trying to find ideas on my proceedures, billing forms, contracts, questionaires ect... but keep running into these "pay for.." Does anyone have a suggestion on where I can find these? What about subcontracting? Should I answer the RFP's even if I don't have all my forms yet?

I know I am bombarding with questions, but there is SO much to do and not much time to do it in.

Chai

Yep - I know where you can find all those things and LOTS more. Check out the VAC.

:)

Guest cookrug
I also am on a very slim budget for my VA business. Since taking an early retirement in 2005 after 25 years in the USPS, we made a major move. I did work part time last year and then quit in December, thinking I could really get this business going. However, most of us know that's not an easy thing to accomplish. So I do keep my website going and do some local marketing, but no clients yet. Still trying to decide if I should go back to work on the outside for awhile. I did purchase the VAC Template CD and it was very worth it!

If you're really having financial issues, it CAN be done with only your computer, an internet connection, and ambition.

But you'll have to search on Google for forms...and you'll have to bust your tail with effort.

I did, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Something about the rags to doing-just-fine-thanks story warms my heart ;)

If you're really having financial issues, it CAN be done with only your computer, an internet connection, and ambition.

But you'll have to search on Google for forms...and you'll have to bust your tail with effort.

I did, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Something about the rags to doing-just-fine-thanks story warms my heart ;)

And the reason for that is 'ownership' Jennifer. I did similar to you, although it was before the internet so I had to make phone calls, research, ask questions, develop systems for myself, but it worked. Whilst I can appreciate asking for samples of things and copies of what others have done helps to confirm you're on the right track, it also makes it far too easy for those just starting out and somehow it means they're short-cutting the process and in my mind, are not developing ownership or their own personality for their business. This is so important.

I didn't have the funds to do anything more than buy a computer and printer at the start and began with a secondhand but solid office desk, which I still have today, 13 years later. The other things like a fax, mobile phone (which weren't every day tools back then), visitor's chair, filing cabinets, bookcases, etc came much later in the development of my business. And when I wanted a website back in 1996 there was no-one, except a computer geek I knew who could do it. So I paid him to spend 2 hours with me to show me the basics - I pumped him with heaps of questions and it paid off as I now not only manage several sites I own, but many for clients too. It was, and still is, very much a labour of love. I love what I do with a passion.

Guest cookrug

I also totally agree with this approach. I had my own business as a hairdresser 25 years ago, and did the bare bones to doing just great. Had to close (for personal reasons) the business after 7 terrific self-sufficient years. And I totally loved every minute of it. So I know I can do it now. I really enjoy the admin. assistant work, all that experience I gained in my previous job, and want to work from home. However, I consider going back to part time work in the outside world because I would use the money to pump into my VA business. :thumbup:

I work part time as I have a medical problem that doesn't allow me to work full-time at an office any more. Working at home gives me the flexibility I need.