Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ink Think

Yea! It's back!

Guest Ink Think

I have nothing of value to say, just glad to see the forum back :-)

You may not really think about it, but depending on the equinox, you may be using the wrong terms – specifically daylight time versus standard time. When does it start, when does it apply and how do we know? Especially, this year when many of us sprung into daylight savings time almost 3 weeks early! Does it really make a difference if we say daylight or standard time? Well it can and it’s especially important to pay attention to differences when you’re planning meetings that will be attended by people all over the world. That is something that never used to be a consideration – can you imagine 10 years ago planning meetings with employees or colleagues all over the world? I couldn’t. The IP revolution introduced the idea of having meetings with off-site personnel, but they were usually at least in the same time zone and usually state. But the technology was not as exciting as its potential and not many of us were impressed. Now, however, we can meet with people all over the planet right from our desktop. It really is amazing.

The easiest way to keep it all straight is to start using standard daylight time as soon as you move your clocks ahead. Change the battery in your smoke alarm, turn all your clocks forward an hour and start using DT. When it comes time to change your clocks back in the fall, do the same thing. Change the battery in your smoke alarm, turn all your clocks backward an hour and start using ST.

Now, however, we can meet with people all over the planet right from our desktop. It really is amazing.

The easiest way to keep it all straight is to start using standard daylight time as soon as you move your clocks ahead. Change the battery in your smoke alarm, turn all your clocks forward an hour and start using DT. When it comes time to change your clocks back in the fall, do the same thing. Change the battery in your smoke alarm, turn all your clocks backward an hour and start using ST.

The other part to this is not to assume that people know what PST, MST or CST means. If you live in a country that uses them, of course you do, but few others do. I live in Australia and I wouldn't have a clue what these mean, I know one stands for Mountain Standard Time (I think) but because I don't know the geography of the US I wouldn't have a clue what part of the US that alludes to or what major cities might be there. When planning meetings with people in another country I always ask them for a major capital city name so I can look it up at www.timeanddate.com to align their times with mine in Melbourne, Australia. If they give me one of the codes above I have no idea how to start working it out as I have no point of reference.

Oh, and by the way, people have tried to tell me 'west coast' or similar but again, I emphasise I do not know the geography of any of the countries outside of my own so I'd rather not start geography lessons at my age - unless I'm planning on travelling there in the not-too-distant-future :D