Angela Wills

How Do You Do Your Invoicing?

When I first started my business I started invoicing from Paypal and of course it's not all that professional a way to invoice so I want to get something more professional looking.

I know I can invoice from Quickbooks and then email to the recipient, I just need to figure out how to set that up. I am doing some contract work and for them they want me to fill out an invoice they made up in MS Word. Just wondering what's the best way to do this.

How do you invoice? Found any ways work better over others?

Thanks! :)

I invoice the first day of the month for the previous month for my hourly clients and on the first day of the month for the month of service for my monthly clients. I use QuickBooks Billing Solutions, so they can pay me directly from that invoice by clicking the button and entering their credit card info :-) Works great!

I use Quickbooks too but do not have the option that Candy has. I print to PDF and email the invoices to clients and give them a choice of payment options: cheque, EFT, Paypal, Stratapay or credit card by phone, fax or mail. Most seem to choose EFT or cheque these days but some pay by the other options. I like EFT because it means I am not paying any fees on it and the funds are cleared straight away.

Guest TerryGreen

Just as Candy does, I invoice my retainer clients on the first of the month for the current month and my hourly clients for the previous month. I use Quickbooks to prepare the invoices, but my billing process is different. I take credit cards for all but two of my clients. They are PayPal. I send a request for money to the PayPal clients. I keep the credit card info for my other clients on hand and charge their cards myself. I charge the client's card and a copy of the CC receipt goes to their email address. Then I send a PDF of the paid invoice by email and upload a copy of the current invoice to their private client page.

I do the same as Kathie. I send the invoice PDF through QuickBooks and give them different payment options. Then send them a paid receipt through QuickBooks. I love their system, it keeps everything neat and tidy.

Thanks so much everyone! I think I will check out how I can do the EFT and also the Quickbooks Billing Solutions (though I think I need to have a Merchant Account for that). I guess if I want to look totally professional I will need to eventually get a merchant account, since I've started my business my clients have been paying me with Paypal.

Well, that's great info, thanks again! :)

Hello Angela,

You have already received incredible advice from the Quickbooks Guru (Candy). :thumbup: I used QuickBooks in the past to handle my invoicing, but now I'm using Microsoft Accounting. I love it! This is how my invoicing process works: At the first of the month, my retainer clients are sent an invoice, which I create in Microsoft Accounting. I have different options to choose how I can send it to the client. I can email the invoice to them (Microsoft Accounting will do this, all you have to do is put in the info) or I can print out the invoice and mail it to them. The beauty of Microsoft Accounting is that it is integrated with PayPal. Now when I email the client's invoice all they have to do is click on the PayPal button on the invoice and it will automatically take them to the PayPal payment screen. Once they pay their invoice, I can download that transaction to Microsoft Accounting and it will show up in the program. Also Microsoft Accounting is integrated with the 2007 Office suite. For example, with the Business Contact Manager I can look up a client's financial history and it will show me if they have a balance remaining and I can also see how much the client spent Y-T-D...and I don't even have to open up the accounting program. I love QuickBooks, but Microsoft Accounting has made my invoicing process a lot easier (and I'm all about simplicity). ;)

Hmmm...I have to check out that QuickBooks option that Candy is referring to in which the client can pay their invoice by clicking on a button. I also need to look into the EFT thing as well. I don't like paying fees if I don't have to. LOL

Edited by cmjones

I use my timing software to keep track of time and what was done, then I put it into an excel spreadsheet template that I made that looks like an invoice, but all branded and stuff, then I print to PDF and email that to the client.

I don't use quickbooks, so no matter how impressive the timer/invoice sounds...I'm still in excel/PDF land with invoicing.

Guest VirtuallyYours

I know I can invoice from Quickbooks and then email to the recipient, I just need to figure out how to set that up. I am doing some contract work and for them they want me to fill out an invoice they made up in MS Word. Just wondering what's the best way to do this.

Thanks! :)

Hi Angela

With the form your client wants you to complete, is that for their systems or to replace your non-invoice-set-up system? If it's for theirs, you can fill theirs out but still create the invoice in whatever program you choose to use so it's there for your records. Quickbooks is nice and easy and effective.

Cheers!

Rosie

I do my billing in QuickBooks also. However, I don't like QuickBooks standard (aka boring) invoices so I customized my invoices, I've also done customized invoices for most of my clients who bill with QuickBooks. That way we can make the invoice match their company with logos, designs, etc. My clients all seem to like it. (I just like doing it so it works for me :) )

As far as billing, I accept PayPal but most of my clients pay by faxed check or mailing a check. It's simple but it works for me and that's how they like it. :)

With the form your client wants you to complete, is that for their systems or to replace your non-invoice-set-up system?

It's for their system, they want me to fill it out so all their invoices are in the same format.

As far as billing, I accept PayPal but most of my clients pay by faxed check or mailing a check. It's simple but it works for me and that's how they like it.

I never knew you could fax a check! How do they do that? (maybe this is obvious sorry for my ignorance! :) )

This has been sooo helpful!

Hi Angela W.,

Angela S. here! It's always strange to address a post to someone with my own name! :)

I also use a custom invoice that I designed in QuickBooks, which I email to clients in PDF format.

Even if you don't use QuickBooks, you can place PayPal buttons in your emails if you use Outlook or Outlook Express. You'll need to install the PayPal Payment Request Wizard in order to do this. You can customize the payment buttons with the appropriate number of hours and correct dollar amount for each invoice you send. The client just has to click the button, and all the payment information is already there (with the exception of credit card info). Most of my clients pay me using this method rather than using the button on my website.

The best part is that clients can pay via credit card using PayPal without having a PayPal account. The worst part is the fees PayPal takes out of every invoice, but I guess that's just the cost of doing business. It's my understanding that the fees are comparable to using a merchant account to process credit cards.

Hope this helps! :)

Angela

Edited by Angela Smith

So when you send your invoices through Quickbooks.. do you do it right from QB? (I have QB). I don't have Outlook set up and I use a web-based program for my email and then forward that to Gmail because I really love Gmail for organizing emails , etc.. Anyway.. I guess I could convert it to PDF from Quickbooks and then send it over from Gmail and then they'll have to go to Paypal themselves to pay me.

I use MS Accounting 2007 (free) and it has word templates that you can customize. I customized my invoice and it automatically imports your paypal info once you sign up for a paypal account. I send my invoices electronically so they can click on the paypal logo and pay it that way. It automatically populates my invoice number in paypal and posts to my account. All the client has to do is fill in their info.

I dont use it through outlook but use my website based email and it uploads the doc like in yahoo or google.

I have another program (VersaCheck) that allows me to accept checks by fax. It also allows me to print my own checks with the micr coding and everything on the bottom. So, I don't buy checks any more...just special ink and the blank check paper.

You can e-mail your invoice directly from QuickBooks. You set-up your email address as the from address then enter the to address and it will send it as a pdf attachment. At the top of your invoice form it should have an option to send it that way. If you go to preferences you can customize the message that will go with your invoice. It's actually really easy. I used to pdf all my invoices and email them myself. Now I just select them all to be emailed and QB will send them all at once....super easy.