Sign in to follow this  

Word, Powerpoint or....????

I'm in a quandry about which program to utilize for a project. I'm fairly sure there is an easy answer to this but it sure eludes me. I'm not sure if it's because of the sunshine we've had B) or the residual narcotics from a short hospital stay..... but I can't get this right...hopefully I can explain it correctly.

I need to create a document, landscape, with 4 squares on it (not sure if it's a table or text box) which all must be the same size (there will be many pages). I need to cut and paste from plain text and have each box the exact same size, the font will be different on each box but should fill the box. These will be cut to size and used as sorting criteria.

I would love it if there is something that resizes each text to the correct size font, but if I can't do that how do I freeze the boxes so they don't change sizes??

Sure do appreciate any help someone can provide.

Do you have Microsoft Publisher? If so, that's what you're looking for. You can create a page with text boxes. Then for each text box, go to Format Text Box and on the Text Box tab select "Best Fit". This will automatically size your text to fit the box.

If you don't have Publisher, text boxes in Word will not change sizes when you paste text into them. They won't automatically change the font for you (at least not that I know of), but at least the borders won't move on you when you don't want them to. I believe the same would apply to PowerPoint... can keep the boxes the same size but don't think it will auto-fit the text.

Hope that helps! :)

Guest VirtuallyYours

Hi!

I think it does resize in powerpoint if you want it to. I notice the font changes size depending on the box size when I am working in it, so I figure it would work for you.

But as said earlier, publisher is good for this too.

Good luck!

Rosie

Thank you both so much.

I do have Publisher but as my client doesn't I believe I'll use Word. I'll have to manually resize each box of text but it will be workable from his end anyway.

Hope your week is filled with sunshine.

If you're going to use Word here's how I would approach it.

Set up your four text boxes, in each text box go to format text box, size and enter the size you wish it be. Also in layout (advanced) make sure move with text is unchecked and that lock anchor is checked. You can also se tthe font type and size for each box. While still in format text box ensure that resize autoshape to fit text is unchecked (it's on the text box tab)

Then save document. Open document and insert your first set of text into the text boxes. The type will not automaticall scale, but the size of the text boxes will not alter to accomodatae the text, which I beleive is the next best solution you were looking for. Save as a different name. When you've done your first set of boxes, go to insert file, and insert the file you named the empty text boxes.

Continue in this way for each new page you wish to add.

Alternatively you could just use a table to divide the page into four quadrants and set the table properties to set the cell sizes the exact size you want so that they do not expand when you add text.

Hope that helps.

Guest Chai

I know it is rather late, but I thought I would chime in, While your client does not have Publisher,... Publisher is easier to design in, then it can be saved in other formats that can be opened in other MS office products. Such as RTF, or JPG formats

Carrie