Reader's Digest Article

Hi

Thanks Nancy and everyone! It was neat to be interviewed for them. I was a nervous wreck. You'd think I'd be better at these, but with the biggies I still tend to forget my name and freak. The interview took place on a Sunday night and I prepared all day Sunday for it. Thinking of all the questions she might ask. Of course, she asked none of the ones I was ready for. But I think all in all it turned out good. I really do try my best to always do a good job.

What a bummer though, where they mention my book in the online version, the link is wrong. Hopefully they can fix that. And in the print version you won't be able to tell. I'm still trying to get ahold of the print version too. I like to be able to show my kids that I got mentioned. I like to show them that dreams come true, so I push anytime something good happens. Of course, I'd love them to work at home too, but we'll see.

Thanks again! Happy Weekend everyone.

Does anyone know if this is in the print version of the magazine, too? Or just the online version?

Thanks,

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

My mom gets the print version of Reader's Digest, so I asked her to look up the article for me. It took her awhile to find it, but it's there! :)

Angela

Can you find issue and month it is in incase I ever come across it? I think you have to have a subscription to get it don't you?

Guest TerryGreen

Congratulations on the article Diana. As always, you make us proud!

From the day I found out the term Virtual Assistant to my first PayPal deposit from a client was three weeks.

If that's not quick cash, I don't know what is.

Most of the barriers on Virtual Assistance are placed by the VAs themselves.

- I won't work for less than X.

- I won't perform X as part of my business.

- If they don't like X, they can find someone else.

I'm not saying people shouldn't have boundaries, FAR from it! Boundaries are good and wonderful things...if you can *afford* to have them. That's why having a business plan is so important. If you make your boundaries flexible in the beginning you can choose goals at which you will tighten up your boundaries and make yourself less accessable.

With any business, your success is up to you. This industry REALLY IS a great way to make cash fast. You just have to be willing to do what it takes to get it and build on it from there. You have to be faster and smarter and think out of the box from day 1 to make sure day 30 sees a profit (and day 45...and day 60...etc.)

Can you find issue and month it is in incase I ever come across it? I think you have to have a subscription to get it don't you?

Hey Tawnya,

The article is in the current issue of Reader's Digest, which I'm guessing is the April 2007 edition. You never know though -- sometimes they put out magazines a few weeks ahead of time, so it could be the May 2007 edition. I'll check with my mom to make sure.

I'm not sure if you need a subscription or not. You might be able to find it on the newsstands right now! :)

Angela

Edited by Angela Smith

Personally as a new VA.......... Diana, I think you ROCK!

It is such an honor that Readers Digest even took an interest in our industry. Alot of people look at our business with alot of negativity. Being interviewed by RD is such a huge accomplishment for all VA's and I feel that Diana represented us well . I learned a few years ago that no matter what, or who does an interview, they will change your words around and before you know it, you are representing the topic in a negative way because of information being twisted or misused in context by the editors.

I am not saying Readers Digest did this, but the editors probably didn't see a problem with the title and lets face it....it does get your attention. Who doesn't want to make money fast? We can't stop those that do start a VA business and fail at it because they do not have the skills they advertise. We are independent business owners and it is our responsibilty to educate ourselves in order for our business to thrive.

In conclusion, I just want to say to Diana, that I have I learned alot from you and I am very proud to call you my VA colleague.

Kelsey - Go Virtual With Us!

Guest intouchva
From the day I found out the term Virtual Assistant to my first PayPal deposit from a client was three weeks.

If that's not quick cash, I don't know what is.

Most of the barriers on Virtual Assistance are placed by the VAs themselves.

- I won't work for less than X.

- I won't perform X as part of my business.

- If they don't like X, they can find someone else.

I'm not saying people shouldn't have boundaries, FAR from it! Boundaries are good and wonderful things...if you can *afford* to have them. That's why having a business plan is so important. If you make your boundaries flexible in the beginning you can choose goals at which you will tighten up your boundaries and make yourself less accessable.

With any business, your success is up to you. This industry REALLY IS a great way to make cash fast. You just have to be willing to do what it takes to get it and build on it from there. You have to be faster and smarter and think out of the box from day 1 to make sure day 30 sees a profit (and day 45...and day 60...etc.)

Well said Jen :thumbup:

Guest intouchva

Congrats Diana and to the VA Industry as a whole! This is a well deserved kudos!!!

Hi

Thank you all so much!! That is so good to hear.

I truly do work so hard to spread the word about our Industry. I'm so proud of where it is today and how more and more are finding that this is the business for them. Creating dreams is what it's all about.

When I started my business in 1985, I had worked for a medical office for years, ran the office, worked like a "dog" and they never said thanks. Just kept piling the work on. I just knew I could do better. When they gave me my 25 cent raise and I was expecting at least a few dollars, that was the final straw. Looking back I'm glad they did now. I probably would have just hung around their working.

I just want this for everyone. To be happy in what they do. To love to go to work. To feel that rush of not only landing their first client, but all clients thereafter. It still excites me.

Thanks again! This really means a lot to me.

Guest Sierra

Hello Diana and All.

I found this forum through the Reader's Digest article and I am thrilled! I have been searching for the past year for work I can complete at home. I thought I found a great data entry job that sends the images through an ftp site that I then input, but that work slowed to nothing and now I have to drive to the office (45 min each way) to pick up work each day. Not a good use of my time and skills.

Diana, I have the Reader's Digest issue that the article is in. I would happy to mail it to you if you like. Let me know.

I look forward to learning from this great forum. :thumbup: Thank you!

Angela Habercorn

I have to add with any venture one takes on its a journey that you are taking on and the VA business is just such a journey. I am one of those that have chosen to take this journey on a part time basis. Is it hard work YES! Does it take motivation YES! but in no way do I believe it to be a quick cash career move. I wish I could remember the quote I had read a couple weeks ago that some of which sticks in my mind , but here is some of it " If you find that you have mastered the skill then you need to find another skill to master for this is what makes us Grow!" I hope I got some of that quote right ...but I will never forget the meaning of the quote and that is why I have started my VA business because it's something I would never have thought I would have been doing 10 or even 5 years ago but it is something that I now know I wanted to take the journey to Master!

Anyone know which issue yet and what page? I wanted to tell my mom ;)

Hey Tawnya,

I asked my mom, and she said it's the May 2007 issue. I didn't catch the page though. I'll try to remember to ask her tomorrow.

Hope this helps a bit! :)

Angela

Hi

Wonderful that you found us from that article!! Welcome, welcome, welcome. It must be in the May issue. It's not out at our stores yet, but hopefully soon. I'm driving the lady at the grocery store nuts. I guess she has other things to worry about than when this comes out. Go figure!

Starting a VA Business, I think is the perfect business for those with the right skills, determination, and motivation, and also willingness to learn. There are so many people willing to help you too. A lot of them here. Take it all in and what applies to you, grab ahold of. Also read as much as you can on our Industry. Not just books, but articles, websites, etc. No need to reinvent the wheel when so many of us have helped. But, that doesn't mean don't be original and unique. That's what will make you a success!

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Have you ever heard the old adage used in the media business -- I don't care what they call me as long as they spell my name right! That's what is important when reading articles, not the title but that the article contains the correct name and accurate information.

As the industry becomes better known, there will be tons of articles with catchy headlines that don't necessarily reflect the truth about the industry -- and we can use them as a stepping stone - building block to make readers "aware" the industry exisits -- and when the same reporter is ready to write another article about the industry, she may delve deeper into the VA concept and write about it in follow-up. You never know and it happens all the time. So, maybe next year, RD may write a full length article about virtual assisting, or another reporter may pick up on the RD article and expand it. That's the fickle article business. In March, a very positive, albeit brief, article was written about virtual assisting and the reporter is doing a follow-up in June. She informed me that her articles are syndicated in 15 newspapers around the country. This upcoming article will have more info about the industry. So, sometimes you start with a small piece and build from it.

I congradulate Dee and everyone else who can obtain exposure for the industry. It is not always an easy task, and to do so consistently takes a a lot of hard work and dedication. Over time, reporters and writers will go past the "quick and easy" money concept and recognize the industry for what it really is -- and report the same.

BTW, begininning next week, and as we made available last year, the OIVAC will provide downloadable media releases to use to promote your business and the convention. Please do not download last year's releases, as the this year's releases will have different slants.

Any questions, feel free to contact me at sharon@the24hoursecretary.com

• Want to Become a VA?
    Invest in The VAC!
    How Do YOU Startup A

Are You a VAinsider?
    Virtual Assistant Organization Association
    Upgrade Your FREE Account & Receive Today...
    * Access to Our Job Board *
    * VA Training Tracks*
    * Group Coaching *
    * Private Mastermind Area *
    * Business Templates *
    * Contracts & Forms*
    *Checklist & eBooks *
    * Seminar Archives *
    * Plus VAinsider Perks! *
    UPGRADE HERE

Virtual Assistant Organization Association

HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

Click to see your AD here!

Cool Virtual Assistant of the month!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.