Seems like every time I see a new website for a VA, the rates they are charging are incredibly low! By low, I mean $15-$30/hr. By the time you take out taxes, you're left with a pay rate so low, it's hardly worth the effort. Does everyone charge this low of a rate? Will I be able to get any work if I charge $35/hr and everyone else is lower?

Kelly :o

Stick to your own rates and survive ;)

VAs that offer lower rates like $10-$15 will be out of business soon enough since they do not allow for overhead or paying themselves for that matter.

Also when a client sees low rates, sometimes they may feel you get what you pay for too.

Tawnya

vainsiders.jpg
Get your first month for $7 using coupon code: TRYFOR7

Kelly,

I know exactly what you are talking about...you and I must have viewed the same exact website today! I wanted to email the VA and ask how it was possible for her to have her rates so low! But, to each his/her own.

I agree with Tawnya, they will be out of business soon. Or, they will realize that the rates are too low and they will have to raise them.

On another message board I read about a web designer who charged below market price for her websites and she couldn't figure out why she wasn't getting the clients. However, once she raised her prices, her business soared. I guess alot of clients think that they are getting value with higher pricing.

:D:D:D

It's nice to know I'm not alone on this subject.

I don't plan on getting rich, but I don't plan on making less than I am as a full time employee either!

Have a good day!

I have just read this thread and I have a few questions. First, let's assume that it's my website you ladies are discussing since I'm a new VA who posted today my new website and I charge $15 - $30 an hour for my serivces - directly from my rates page.

Now I could see how someone could go out of business for charging $15/flat for their services - that I understand. Is $30 still to low for someone to charge? A VA who charges fees that are a little lower (or cheap) than what some feel is right might not necessary need to 'get rich' with this business. They choose these fees because they feel it's right for their experience, resources, etc. and they just truly enjoy what they do.

I also feel that if someone is charging these fees it does not mean that their client is getting less quality of work because they aren't charging more. The saying "getting what you pay for" just might not apply here. I believe that this statement should be said after one has seen the work and dealt directly with that VA. You just might be surprised at how good and reliable that VA is - even with cheap rates.

I have done a lot of research on the VA industry and have read many articles on VA's who charge $30/hr and are not reliable or professional. Having a higher rate does not guarentee quality work - I believe this to be true in everything.

I hope I haven't stepped on any toes here but I was just taken back when I read some comments. And even if it wasn't me that you wanted to send an email to asking about how I could have my rates so cheap, it was someone out there who is probably reading this thread and wondering the same things.

I'm new here but I hope we can have some more encouraging words on others business and offer positive suggestions and no negative like 'this VA will be out of business".

My intention was not to offend.

As someone who is a VA full-time and relies solely on the income on the work that is produced, I find it difficult to charge less than $30/hr on any given project, due to overhead, taxes (about 50%), salary, etc. My husband (who is a f/t VA as well) and I crunched and re-crunched the numbers and realized we couldn't get by on anything much less. I too am not looking to "get rich". I enjoy what I do and I get satisfaction watching (virtually) my clients grow their businesses because they are no longer buried under paperwork. In the posts I don't believe that anyone said that inexpensive rates mean less service. I truly believe that most of us would provide the same service whether we were charging $5 or $500.

My post was just a response to my unbelief that one could survive off of $15/hr minus overhead, taxes, salary, etc.

Again, heartfelt apologies to you Daphne and anyone else who hasn't posted because of the way I came across.

This group is compiled of a great bunch of ladies and gentlemen who would do absolutely anything for eachother. Unlike most groups, this group is like a huge FAMILY. We come together and share everything...good times, bad times, hardships, joys, goofs, blunders, jokes, family situations and more.

;):D

Becki - Thank you for your quick reply and I appreciate your apology even though I never expected one. But I also must apologize - I didn't mean to come across so harsh. Maybe I took the comments wrong or too much to heart. Everyone has there own reasons for doing different things in every aspect of their career or personal life and it should just be accepted......did that last comment make sense???? :wacko:

Even though I'm new to this board (I've been lurking as a guest) I have seen just how nice everyone is. It seems that there are true friendships that have been developed here. I have already received valuable information from posts here and I know there is so much more here to learn.

I appreciate opinions and you will soon learn that I love to talk....so watch out - and in case you haven't figured out from my 1 post......I love to ask questions! :rolleyes: It drives my boyfriend crazy! :D

Thanks again Becki and I do look forward to being here more!!

I also feel that if someone is charging these fees it does not mean that their client is getting less quality of work because they aren't charging more. The saying "getting what you pay for" just might not apply here. I believe that this statement should be said after one has seen the work and dealt directly with that VA. You just might be surprised at how good and reliable that VA is - even with cheap rates.

I don't usually chime in when there's talk about rates. Only because I guess you could say that I'm in the "cheap" catagory.

With my experience and "newness" I couldn't imagine charging $45.00 per hour!

I whole heartedly agree with Daphne's quote, A new VA must start some where, and I don't think charging below what a very experienced VA charges means that a client is not getting a great VA!

Just my 2 cents.... ;)

Tawnya - Thanks for the welcome! :D

Also - thanks for the great words of encouragment....we all need them sometimes.

Have a good night!

Thanx for the P.S Tawnya!

I've been struggling with my rates all along, seeing as most of my clients are local, I just don't feel the market here could stand any higher of a rate!

I've done research into the wages of Administrational workers in a 200 mile radius, so I charge around 40% higher.

The market in and about that area could not handle a larger fee from me.

And until I learn the in's & out's of marketing on the net,( not an easy task) and honing my craft, I will have to stick within a local market.

Again, thank you for the support! :D

Kimmer,

Being that your target market is local, you are most likely right on with your pricing research.

Again, each VAs business plan is different and encompasses a different target market so will vary accordingly.

How is your networking group coming along?

Tawnya

vainsiders.jpg
Get your first month for $7 using coupon code: TRYFOR7

Hi everyone! :D

Sorry for chiming in late on this excellent discussion. Daphne, and anyone else, just wanted to remind you that I have an Excel Services Rate Worksheet that I have shared with many VAs. It covers every aspect of expenses for your business, and what is great, you fill in your own numbers. So the sheet figures out what your rate should be, per your objectives, and obligations.

Please feel free to e-mail me for a copy of the spreadsheet. I do know a lot of VAs have found it valuable for their businesses. :-)

Tawnya,

I have had only 2 interested businesses contact me, even with the chamber's e-maill/fax campaign on my behalf.

But I've been talking back and forth with the 2 businesses and have made good friends with them!

I'm hoping that my efforts at the Tradeshow will get more businesses interested in the Networking Group. I have a couple things planned to get interest in the Group at the Tradeshow. :D

Hey gang! I'm a little late here but thought I would contribute my :penny:

I think everyones goals and circumstances surrounding their VA business is different and I have come across a couple of VA's that are doing this primarly for the enjoyment and not necessarily as a primary source of income.

You all have contributed some great points here and I agree that new VA's do have to "start somewhere". Lower rates to start with might be a strategy to attract new clients and possibly reflect that VA's experience. Once a couple of clients have been taken on a VA can review their rates and experience and increase accordingly.

My only concern for really low hourly rates is why not charge higher if you have the skills? 1) You'd have to work less time to make the same...that is reason enough for me. Some VAs may not feel confident in their skills yet but that is where you must move forward and gain the self-esteem needed in this business. You are good, you can do it and you are worth it!

I totally agree with you on this Tawnya. You have said it best here.

B)

Jennifer

Here's my late :penny: as well...

Of all the VA groups available out there, I find that this group is by far the best one. People here are very supportive, friendly, always giving advice especially to us newbies. I have read way too many VA's slashing out at each other and I think it's very unfortunate because I believe we are here for the same cause.

It is hard to turn the cheek when you may feel you're being attacked so I just want to say that we should just be more sensitive towards other VA's even if it's not intentional. This is not directed towards anyone specific, I just hate to see the same thing happening in other groups.

As far as rates go, as a small iz owner you set the rates as YOU feel comfortable, not what others say works for them. If you're bringing in enough to support yourself who's to say you can't give a client a break on a project and charge them less than the norm? ;)

Edited by swetzel