This is a great topic, I've been stuggling with my rates as well for the same reason as Kelly and I was afraid to charge more because of the competition. However, I've learned that you have to go with what you feel is right and your needs, with the help of Naomi and her worksheet, I revised all my rates and changed then. I'm planning to stick to my rates because I have a goal and that's the only way I'll be able to reach it.

Everyone has a good point here. I would strongly recommend asking Naomi for that worksheet, it will really help. You have to remember, you're in business for yourself!

Just my opinion................ :D

Thanks for the Kudos Ingrid. :wub: I have also thanked the Business Consultant who is paid by the state of NC, who gave me the spreadsheet. I have found that to be one of the most valuable tools for my business.

Hi All;

RATES!! What a topic and what great insight! Great to see it from all prospectives.

I've been in all places it seems. Felt like I could fit in with all of you.

Here's my thoughts. I've just done a major major research for a project I'm working on and boy did it open up my eyes. You have no idea what's out there.

And again just my opinon okay!

I feel if you start your rate of pay at a substantial level higher , your client will foresee that as a quality above someone else. If a professional sees someone only charging $20.00 an hour, he's going to perceive them as average. Not as good as someone who is charging $30.00 or $40.00 an hour.

When a client sees a VA or WP charging $45.00/hr. He expects the best.

I truly see no reason today why we can't be charging at least $30.00 to $35.00/hr minimum and getting it or more.

Just my thoughts though. I found a lot of VA/WPs getting it.

Kimmer -- With your creativity, you're missing your calling. You need to focus on desktop publishing. I just love the ideas you sent me.

Anyway, I'd love to hear more on this. And especially on how to convince the client you're worth it!

Thanx for the encouragement Diana!!

I do truly love Desktop Publishing and such!!!

I filled in Naomi's Rate sheet and I'm really starting to re-think my rates!

Thanx Naomi! :wub:

I know Kimmer. That rate sheet really helps you open your eyes to what rates you should be charging for your situation. I also agree with Dianne. It seems people take you a lot more serious when your rates are higher than lower. :)

Hi Everyone..I know I am getting in way late on this topic .. but I just found this GREAT group and wanted to respond in regards to rates.

I think that it just depends on the individual VA needs. I have low over head costs and live in an area where the cost of living is low. So I don't need to charge as much as another VA in a different circumstance.

My husband is a musician, & we both work our rears off to pay our bills and keep food on the table; but we do it and we are happy. We don't have the fanciest house or the fanciest car..but we have what we need; our kids are happy and this is what is right for us.

I think that my rates are reasonable..probably even on the low end. I have been working as a VA for 5 years, and have been plugging away full time for over a year now.

I have 5 retainer clients and about 4 'pop in' clients who send me projects periodically. One of my clients is always sending me extra work to do for her clients .. who usually turn into 'pop in' clients..they are keeping me quite busy and PayPal is happy.

My point? Whether you charge $15 per hour or $50 per hour..you need to do what is right for yourself and your business....(for me that is keeping my bills paid and enjoying life and being able to work from my home office).

Your work will speak volumes to your clients and to other VA's.

Nancy A. Brown

http://www.virtualgalfriday.com

Hi Nancy: :D

You said:

My point? Whether you charge $15 per hour or $50 per hour..you need to do what is right for yourself and your business....(for me that is keeping my bills paid and enjoying life and being able to work from my home office).

That is why I like the Services Rate worksheet that was given to me, and I pass on and share with every VA I can. This worksheet is not a table where someone goes down a column and says, okay this is what I want to charge.

Each individual has to put in their own numbers, which means the person is putting in numbers related to his or her business, cost of living, etc. The worksheet calculates everything and lets an individual know that by the numbers she or he has inputted, this is the rate that needs to be charged in order to cover everything.

It has been quite an eye opener for some VAs. :) They thought they were charging enough to get by; however, once the numbers were inputted and calculated, they realized they weren't really getting by. Their present rates were going to do them in, in the long run.

What the worksheet did for me was to confirm for me that I was charging an appropriate rate; however, that is without out a profit. If I wanted to make a profit, money above and beyond the cost of running my business and my cost of living, I would have to charge higher rates.

Well, talk about being late with my .02 cents...

I have noticed only in my experience since I have been in business and that is 6 months that if I charge $35 or higher then I don't see the business... They tell me that I will not pay for someone to do general admin work for that price... Sometimes I understand they are wanting something for nothing... I am still experimenting and finding my place in this pricing situation...

I must agree that when I am pricing for my local neighborhood or community, it is better with the lower price considering the going price for admin in my area...

Thanks for creating a board where we can all vent in our own way and not get our feeling hurt...

Thanks