Sign in to follow this  

Start up questions

I am wanting to start my own home based VA business. I would have to do it part time to start. I am curious about how everyone afforded the start up costs? Grants - Loans? I am finding it difficult to locate any grants for individuals and I don't think I can afford to get a loan right off. Any advice?

Hi,

This is one of the hardest parts of starting your own business. Most of us don't have the capital to just up and put everything together so we have to think outside of the box. I have done things like saving all of my change each day, and you would be surprised how fast it adds up.

Start with what is free then as your finances allow you can expand. I suggest attending a Chamber of Commerce "Meet & Greet" you can usually attend one of these without being a member. Networking is a great way to get the word out about your new business and what you do.

Remember Rome wasn't built in a day, so you don't have to do everything at once and you don't need all the bells and whistles to start.

I definitely agree with Ruth - you don't need all the bells and whistles to start out. Read the VANA Info Packet and through the archives. There's tons of information here and it will assist in figuring out what you need and don't need for the services you will be providing to your target market.

Hi and welcome to VANA.

You have been given some great advice.

Networking is key to building any business, especially as a VA. Carry your business cards with you where ever you go. Let your family members and local businesses know that you are starting your business. You may end up with a client or two that you can service while still working part time.