Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arnie

ATTENTION ALL WEBMASTERS

Guest Arnie

Getty Images in currently on a web search mission to find any and all of their photos ot images that have been used without copy write permissions. Currently companies and individuals in the United States, England, Ireland, and Canada have been sent letters by Getty demanding money for the use of their images. Getty's letter to all seem to have a simmilar tone. They are not implying that you knowingly stole any images, but you have them so you must pay. Getty does not use water marks or coding so it is almost impossible to know if an image belongs to them. For this reason, any photo or image you have that you did not take ot make yourself could be at risk.

From the material I have sourced through so far most of the web developers who have been contacted by their clients who have received these letters all sourced their photos from other companies and thus are unaware of any Getty copy write issues.

Read all about it Here.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread...0902&page=6

Hi Arnie,

Thanks for the heads-up. I've known this issue for some time now, Getty (and Corbis) seems to have a (not-so-pleasant) reputation in the webmaster community for this kind of ploy. I know several webmasters who legitimately purchased stock photos from sites such as stock.xchnge and still gets these letters. The thing is, Getty really has no way of knowing whether the original authors of these photos sold their work to other sites that sell images (which is likely possible).

I purchase my stock photos at istockphoto (which coincidentally was acquired by Getty), and also make it a point to ask my clients who submit stock photography when I do their sites where they obtained it. It saves a lot of headaches for all of us.

Gabs

Guest Arnie

Here's the kicker Gabby. As a rule Getty does not use water marks or coding to let the user know the picture has a copyright. lt's ultimately up to the end user to have to research each and every photo used on your site. So if you can't trust the person you are buying from, you are either forced to buy from the guy who'll sue, or make it yourself.

One of my favorite websites has a very large watermark accross each and every photo. There is no doubt who's photo it is. If you buy a copy, you get it sans watermark. But if there is no way to research the photo, you're hooped until you get a letter in the mail. Pretty heavy handed marketing on the part of Getty I'd say. One person whom I read up on actually did check the coding and found it was of the person who they purchased it from. Little did he know until he got a letter from Getty, that the coding had been changed. I am all for protection as I too once opened a magazine to see a copy of my photo being used as the Logo of an International Airport. It was settled friendly with a simple phone call, and I ended up making a new friend out of it as well. But here's the deal, (in my opinion) if you're going to put your images on the net, add your copyright to it. Right where evryone can see it. I do. That way there is no confusion.

Guest Jorren Company

I also get my photos from istockphoto. The very reasons mentioned here is why I chose not to attach photos on my website.

Thank you Arnie for the information.

Dusty

Guest AnnaLisa Michalski

Hi Arnie,

This part

lt's ultimately up to the end user to have to research each and every photo used on your site. So if you can't trust the person you are buying from, you are either forced to buy from the guy who'll sue, or make it yourself....One person whom I read up on actually did check the coding and found it was of the person who they purchased it from. Little did he know until he got a letter from Getty, that the coding had been changed.

is really alarming to me.

I have photos on my site, and except for the one my husband took (which is just a snapshot of me which I can't imagine wouldn't be of enough interest to anyone else to bother stealing), I have linked photographer credits under each one. But here's the trouble. I don't have receipts or licenses or anything to prove I'm allowed to use them. I did not purchase this photography. I got the images from morguefile.com. The deal there is that anything in the catalog is free for use. All the photographers ask is that you contact them to give them and tell them how their work is being used. When I contacted them, most told me that adding a credit to their photo was more than they expected me to do, so I figured I had done my homework.

However...

In the end, do I have any reliable way of knowing that these photos are, in fact, the work of the people I credited? I have no reason to believe otherwise, and since no money changed hands here, I can't imagine they would have any motivation to post other people's work under their names. But how can we know?

The business about checking an image's coding is waaaaaay beyond my technical know-how. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for posting this warning!

Guest Arnie
But here's the trouble. I don't have receipts or licenses or anything to prove I'm allowed to use them. I did not purchase this photography.Thank you for posting this warning!

Without something in writing you're in a tough spot if someone wants to push the subject. I have just been given some photos for my next DVD, the photographers do not want any money, but I made in clear in my email that I was sending them a copy of the DVD in lue of compensation.

A.

Guest coxadmin

So how likely are images from Microsoft's clip art likely to be affected or is there just no way of knowing?

Likewise, I have an account with istockphoto.com - just as well it seems! Plus my own images.

Guest Arnie
So how likely are images from Microsoft's clip art likely to be affected or is there just no way of knowing?

I would assume that companies such as Microsoft have their own art departments.

Unless the company which owns the image encodes the image one way or another, there really no way to know. You would have to do a google images seach to find it. This could take more time than designing the thing yourself. I did read that both CNET and Youtube have also been given letters by Getty.

Like many others here, I have purchased most of my stock photos from iStockphoto. Per the FAQ on their site: "Each image is checked individually by one of our Approval Administrators for various requirements such as size, file type, quality and copyright. This means that every image in the library has been downloaded, viewed at full size, checked exhaustively and qualitatively evaluated by at least one, but sometimes two or more Approval Inspectors."

Arnie - Are you saying that those of us who purchased images from iStockphoto are also at risk? I'm so confused! :wacko:

Thanks!

Angela

Likewise, I have an account with istockphoto.com - just as well it seems! Plus my own images.

Actually, I think Getty acquired istock ;)

Karri

Guest Arnie

Angela,

All I am saying is that Getty normally does not put any kind of coding on their photos, so there is no way to tell. Ultimately its Cavet Emptor, buyer beware.

The long and the short of it, unless you buy the image right from the person who produced it, there is a chance (however small) it's not theirs to sell.

And yes, I too believe Getty bought istock in Feb of this year.

Here's the kicker Gabby. As a rule Getty does not use water marks or coding to let the user know the picture has a copyright. lt's ultimately up to the end user to have to research each and every photo used on your site. So if you can't trust the person you are buying from, you are either forced to buy from the guy who'll sue, or make it yourself.

Make it myself? Sweet! If three kids can recreate the entire Raiders of the Lost Ark movie in their full glory, I probably can too! ( some wishful thinking here... :) )

Gabs

Getty Images in currently on a web search mission to find any and all of their photos ot images that have been used without copy write permissions. Currently companies and individuals in the United States, England, Ireland, and Canada have been sent letters by Getty demanding money for the use of their images. Getty's letter to all seem to have a simmilar tone. They are not implying that you knowingly stole any images, but you have them so you must pay. Getty does not use water marks or coding so it is almost impossible to know if an image belongs to them. For this reason, any photo or image you have that you did not take ot make yourself could be at risk.

From the material I have sourced through so far most of the web developers who have been contacted by their clients who have received these letters all sourced their photos from other companies and thus are unaware of any Getty copy write issues.

Read all about it Here.

Hey Arnie - Good point!

As a matter of fact, I just got off the phone with a friend who is helping me put togerther my first press release. She asked if I had a picture of myself and I asked her if I could use the logo I chose on my website. "No, the local paper will not accept clip art unless it was created specifically for you and paid for by you." The clip ar I chose is from MS Word - does that mean I need GATES permission? - how do I do that?

What is a Getty? - nver heard that term.

RICHELS

Read all about it Here.