I have always worked with template-based websites, and I don't know how to take website pages and FTP upload them. (Not even sure if that's the correct teminology! :rolleyes: )

I need to learn how to do this; is there anyone who would be willing to show me how to do this?

dork2vb4.jpg

I learn quickly, and I'm sure it wouldn't take very long. I'd gladly pay you for your time or exchange services. If you have something where we can talk on the phone and be online together to walk through it, that would help (i.e., GotomyPC or something like that). In any case, please contact me if you can help.

Thank you!!

Ann

Email me

:thumbup:

You shouldn't have to pay someone for FTP help. Do you have an FTP client? If so, which one? Did you use Frontpage to build your site? Who hosts your site?

Carol

You shouldn't have to pay someone for FTP help. Do you have an FTP client? If so, which one? Did you use Frontpage to build your site? Who hosts your site?

Carol

I have a client who sent me a ZIP file with web pages he built in Front page; I need to upload them; hosting is with GoDaddy.com.

I don't have any FTP software to upload...

I was going to offer to help, but then I saw the dreaded word "Frontpage." I'll let Carol handle this one :blink:

Ask your client if they used any components that require FrontPage extensions. Here is a listing of FP (FrontPage) 2002 features that require extentions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281532.

If FrontPage extensions are required, make sure FP extensions are enabled on the server, and use FrontPage to publish the site. Do not use FTP.

If you are absolutely certain FrontPage Extensions are not required, download FileZilla and read Godaddy's FileZilla tutorial. Let us know if you have any problems.

Carol

Ask your client if they used any components that require FrontPage extensions. Here is a listing of FP (FrontPage) 2002 features that require extentions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281532.

If FrontPage extensions are required, make sure FP extensions are enabled on the server, and use FrontPage to publish the site. Do not use FTP.

If you are absolutely certain FrontPage Extensions are not required, download FileZilla and read Godaddy's FileZilla tutorial. Let us know if you have any problems.

Carol

Thanks, Carol! I'll let you know. :)

Carol

Hi again,

Just heard back from the client; he says:

"I don't think any of these apply. (the list that requires extensions) The pages were pretty much basic HTML that utilize a common CSS file. All the menus were done as images (not custom link bars, etc.). I might eventually add some of this functionality, but currently I don't think it is an issue."

...how to proceed?

Thank you!

Ann

Ann:

You should be able to just use one of the FTP programs suggested and upload all the files. If for some reason, the login doesn't work, you might have to log into GoDaddy and install FrontPage extensions. Feel free to send me a PM if you need help navigating GoDaddy. I have spent a lot of hours in there this past weekend :)

Kim

Did you have any luck Ann?

Carol

Hello!

Well, I was able to upload the files, but there are red X's where the images should be. How do I fix that? I did upload the image files too...

The website is at http://idrfof.com

Ann

Hi Ann,

The images are stored in a folder called images. Upload the folder to your web server.

HTH,

Carol

Hi Ann,

The images are stored in a folder called images. Upload the folder to your web server.

HTH,

Carol

Could it really be that simple...? That worked! :thumbup:

Thank you VERY much!!

Ann

aka the FTP Dork :lol:

Hey you are not an "FTP Dork" any longer. You now know how to do it and when someone else asks, you can be the "FTP Expert"! :thumbup1:

Hey you are not an "FTP Dork" any longer. You now know how to do it and when someone else asks, you can be the "FTP Expert"! :thumbup1:

Ha ha! Just when you thought it was safe to venture back into the FTP world...

The client asks another question!

He wants me to add a Title to each page, i.e., in the IE bar along the top? Any suggestions?

:blush:

He wants me to add a Title to each page, i.e., in the IE bar along the top? Any suggestions?

You'll need to open the files using an html editor, or you can use a text editor like Notepad. Near the top of the page, you'll see the opening and closing <head> tags. In between those tags, you'll place your titles, using the title tag, like so:

<html>
<head>
<title>Your new page title here</title>
...Other head stuff...
</head>
<body>
...Body stuff...
</body>
</html>

Save the page (if you use Notepad, be sure to save it with an .html extension) and ftp up to the server.