DeirdreS

Volunteering Services?

I'm interested in getting into the Real Estate niche but I've only worked as a temp in a Real Estate Office for a couple of weeks. What do you think about calling a local RE office and asking if I can volunteer some time in exchange for some training?

Hi Deirdre,

That sounds like it could be a win-win situation for both of you. It might also be an opportunity to gain some contacts within the industry as well.

My only advice would be to go in person rather than by phone. I think you might get a better response face to face and you never know who might be interested in your proposal that is within earshot of your conversation.

I'm not sure I'd do it. First, how would you switch from volunteer to paid. Second, you'll be seen by them as unexperienced even if they are the ones who trained you.

I know when you start your business you have more time than money so it sounds like a good idea, but you may hurt your reputation doing things that way.

What do you think you need training in? There's several trainings around the internet. Any software company will give you a training for free. Plus there's coaches and VA training and even Real Estate training that you can purchase.

I think that if I were you, I'd offer services I'm already good in and don't need training in.

I have a good friend who is a Real Estate Agent and my thoughts were to approach her and just volunteer a set number of hours a week for 3-4 weeks. Any comments about that? Thanks!

Deirdre

I'm not sure I'd do it. First, how would you switch from volunteer to paid. Second, you'll be seen by them as unexperienced even if they are the ones who trained you.

I have a good friend who is a Real Estate Agent and my thoughts were to approach her and just volunteer a set number of hours a week for 3-4 weeks. Any comments about that? Thanks!

Deirdre

Deirdra,

Remember that the skills you bring to real estate agents are the same that you have used in your other jobs so they are of value to the agent. I would recommend that you set specific training goals, such as MLS entry, real estate software training etc. so you are actually getting the training that you can offer to other agents.

Judy

Hi Deidra,

Volunteering is a good idea and provides an opportunity for you to secure some additional training and give back to the community.

I volunteer a set number of hours per month to area not-for-profits. It would be a prudent to establish a timeline to determine when you would no longer be an unpaid volunteer.

Making the request in person is preferable to a phone call.

Good luck and welcome!

Warmest regards,

I have volunteered my time and services for non-profit's. I am not sure that I would volunteer my time for a for-profit. If your "good friend" is in real estate than she should be willing to hire you for your services and give you a little mentoring advice along the way. DON'T sell yourself or your business short. The idea is to approach every job with great confidence... You will learn your limits and not take certain jobs because you will have to spend weeks learning a new program or something like that.

Kim

Volunteering for non-profits is a great way to get your name out there, but as a volunteer, not as someone who needs to learn the business.

Since you have a friend who's an agent, why not barter with her. You could give her X amount of services per hour for an extremely reduced rate in exchange for her teaching you. What I'd be leery of is going to the whole office and doing the same thing. I just think that you'll lose your credibility and won't be taken seriously by them.

ImPlum pointed out an excellent point. I have a similar setup with a person I used to work with. She has been a mentor and a great referral source for me. Any referrals she sends my way, I offer them a discounted rate and I offer her free VA time. In your situation, it would be ideal to see if you can offer a discountd rate (like a paid intern?) in exchange for learning and experience. Sounds like a win-win!