Sign in to follow this  

Problem with envelopes in Word

I have a certain document that I use as a template and that includes a section for name and address of the party it will be mailed to. The address part is single spaced, but if I try to use the Tools > Envelopes and Labels to print an envelope to go with the document, both addresses (return and recipient) come out double spaced. Any ideas how to fix this? I've been copying the address, opening a new document and printing the envelope from there, but if I could fix the existing template instead I'd be sooooooo happy!

Guest The Edge VA

Rats! One time I thought I could possibly help YOU... but no... I don't use the envelopes and mailings function. <_<

Would'a been nice though... *sigh!*

Guest Chai

which version of word are you using?

Carrie

Hi Leanne,

I hate creating labels and envelopes in Word, it never seems to work for me either. I use Avery, it is a free little footprint that lets you create mail merge from Excel or Word and you can even put you logo right on the labels or envelopes. You can create labels/envelopes all with the same address or different addresses on each. It makes mail merge and creating labels so easy, I just love it. You can find the free download at: http://avery.com/us/solutions/mailing/printing.html.

Guest Chai
Word 2000.

Ok I have 2003, so I am not sure this works in 2000.

Go to tools, Click on Envelopes and labels to adjust the settings on an Envelope click options, Under envelope options click "font" for the Delivery address then you can adjust your font, font size. If you click on the "Character Spacing tab" then you have the option to change the "normal" to "Compress" by "0".

I hope this helps,

Carrie

Thanks, Carrie, but I don't have Compress By as an option. I tried Condensed set to 0 but that didn't do anything :(

Caroline, that looks like a cool tool, but it's kind of overkill for what I'm doing (I'm downloading it anyway, though). All I need to do is print a single envelope (I didn't see that the Avery thing prints envelopes, but maybe I missed it) each time I use this document (which I typically do in batches of less than ten at any give time). This is the only document I have this problem with, and I was hoping there was some sort of quick fix :(

Guest Chai

OK Take 2, this should work

forget using the envelopes and labels tool. Create a new document, go to File, page set up and set your paper size to the size envelope you are using. Then you can mail merge and control your paragraph spacing.

Carrie

Guest Nanner

Oh, I'm loving this. Can't wait for the mail merge question to be answered. I thought I knew alot about this stuff but it's a refresher course for me.

Thanks for the download from Avery. That helps me alot, too. All these little tips and free downloads have been great. I love this website because everyone is so willing to share ideas and suggestions!

Nancy

No dice :(

Irrelevant side note: I had no idea there were "soft returns" in Word. I'm learning all kinds of cool things here!

This is the document I'm working with, if that helps (names have been changed to protect the dastardly).

custom15.doc

Guest Chai
No dice :(

Irrelevant side note: I had no idea there were "soft returns" in Word. I'm learning all kinds of cool things here!

This is the document I'm working with, if that helps (names have been changed to protect the dastardly).

Contact me offlist, I can help you set this up

I am on IM if you need

Carrie

Guest Chai
Oh, I'm loving this. Can't wait for the mail merge question to be answered. I thought I knew alot about this stuff but it's a refresher course for me.

Thanks for the download from Avery. That helps me alot, too. All these little tips and free downloads have been great. I love this website because everyone is so willing to share ideas and suggestions!

Nancy

LOL Nancy, that gets a little too detailed for here.

We all learn something, Leanne has this neat little download that enables you to work as a team on a computer. That is going to come in SO handy with a lot of my partnerships!! Up to this point I have been making changes back and forth via email on similar documents where both parties are trying to communicate via phone while working on the same document in two different locations.

Carrie

Carrie, thanks so much for your help -- you took me into parts of Word I had no idea existed :lol:

By the way, for anyone interested, my "neat little download" is nothing more than Logmein Pro -- it allows guest sharing of your computer, and I was able to watch Carrie whip through my software like nobody's business!