A Kind Of Scary Article.

A day (or two) late, a dollar short but here's my :penny: anyway:

Yes, it is very discouraging to think of someone undercutting your opportunities in that manner but to me, it doesn't matter to which country, state, city or VA the work is outsourced. It's all about the quality. If the quality isn't there the relationship isn't going to last and that's one more job open to me. If someone can produce the same caliber of service for that much less than I can then I either need to 'step up my game' as they say, target a niche not available to them or find another line of work. Yes, we are (hopefully) here to do the work for which we have a passion but we also must be realistic....if there's no more work to be had at rates we need to survive (and this I seriously doubt will ever come to pass) then we move on. To paraphrase Ros, we all gotta eat!

The only thing I can say to anyone who's mindful and skeptical about the future of their business as a VA (or not), is that their only true competition are themselves. If they think they deserve to be paid this much, then let them prove they're worth it. If they think this client should go to them and not to somebody else on the other side of the world, give them a really good reason why they should. Otherwise, there's no point in worrying about what the outcome of this game will be if they don't have an idea of where they stand and what they're going to do about it.

I realize Tawnya already gave you props for this post Gaby, but I just had to chime in, EXCELLENT POINT! :thumbup:

Looking at others, no matter where they are, as competition is just another excuse. If you focus on getting your business right, and finding clients that want to work with YOU, this just isn't an issue. A "scarcity" mentality does not serve anyone as a business owner.

A VA doesn't need thousands of clients to pay the bills. Sure you can get to that point eventually...but if you're not finding 4, 5, or even 10 clients to fill up your billable hours it's not the fault of someone cheaper in another country...but your marketing, interviewing skills, proposal writing skills, or something else getting in your way.

Wonderful post Gabby!

I too agree with everything you said.

Angela

PS to Arnie: Another thing you don't have to worry about by hiring the new girl in the Phillippines to inspect your model carvings for you at the factory there is that you don't have to worry about me landing in the Phillippine jail cells like last visit.

Oh my goodness Phillippine jail cells?

I agree that if you can add extra value you will keep clients even though there are people offering the service for a much lower price. I'm sure many of my clients know they could find someone at a lot lower rate than me, but do they want to bother going out and searching, possibly finding someone who's not as good and having to then search again, etc..? probably not.

I posted about Tim Ferriss' 4-hour workweek' on my blog, which talks about outsourcing to india for $5/hr. It's funny because now a lot of people doing a search find my site when searching for things like '$5 virtual assistant'