Sign in to follow this  

Getting feedback from clients

Okay, this might be a dumb question but am asking anyway.

I had a prospect that I was referred to by one of my clients. I contacted her, sent her a nice information packet and followed up with her. She wanted me to answer her phones while she was on vacation, at first I told her I don't normally offer this service (mainly because my kids don't always no how to be quiet lol). I then told her that I see no problem with answering her phones since it was only a week and I really wanted this client. I thought she was going to have me do that along with other stuff but it fell through.

However, I have answered some questions for her not pertaining to my services but things pertaining to her industry and when I recently joined a forum that she is a member of, she posted a reply with some very nice words about me. I emailed her and told her thanks and she emailed back that she only wishes she could use me more.

So here's my question, do you think it is inappropriate to send her an email asking for feedback for my own professional development and ask her why she chose not to use my services? I'm not going to sell to her just continuously keep in contact with her once in awhile but I would like her feedback so that I know for future contact with prospects.

Tracy

Tracy,

Sure ask her for the testimony. I dont think ther is anything wrong with that. Maybe she does not need your services "right now", but in the future she may. Keep the lines of communication and relationship open.

Now I have a question for you...What was the forum you joined? Where do you advertise your services? Where do you get the most return?

Savvy

Okay, this might be a dumb question but am asking anyway.

I had a prospect that I was referred to by one of my clients. I contacted her, sent her a nice information packet and followed up with her. She wanted me to answer her phones while she was on vacation, at first I told her I don't normally offer this service (mainly because my kids don't always no how to be quiet lol). I then told her that I see no problem with answering her phones since it was only a week and I really wanted this client. I thought she was going to have me do that along with other stuff but it fell through.

However, I have answered some questions for her not pertaining to my services but things pertaining to her industry and when I recently joined a forum that she is a member of, she posted a reply with some very nice words about me. I emailed her and told her thanks and she emailed back that she only wishes she could use me more.

So here's my question, do you think it is inappropriate to send her an email asking for feedback for my own professional development and ask her why she chose not to use my services? I'm not going to sell to her just continuously keep in contact with her once in awhile but I would like her feedback so that I know for future contact with prospects.

Tracy

Tracy

I think it is a great idea to keep in touch with her and to ask her why she didn't choose to use your services. I would however put it this way "I am wondering what factors were involved with your decision not to contract a virtual assistant at this time?" This doesn't make it seem like you are saying, "why didn't you hire ME?" She can be more general with her answers and you can read between the lines and see if it was you, financial reasons, time constriants, or any other reason.

Hi Tracy,

I agree that it's absolutely appropriate to ask what is preventing her from hiring you for additional services. I would also like to suggest that you ask the client some questions to possibly uncover additional opportunities for you to work with her. I have a questionnaire I use to ask things like: What do you like doing the least in your business?, If you could delegate 2 tasks knowing they would be handled to your standards what would they be?, Do you have ideas for your business you are unable to implement?, What improvements would you like to see in your business?

Do you have a way to stay in touch with potential clients such as a newsletter, blog or daily tips? I found this very important in my business so when they were ready to hire a VA they thought of me :)

MLA

Savvy,

The clients that I get are pretty much by word of mouth and networking.

Darrell,

Thank you for the input.

Mary lou,

I do have a blog. I did a newsletter at one time but I just couldn't keep up with it. I couldn't think of anything to write and I was having a hard time getting motivated to do it. I like the blog much better because if I get the itch to write I can just do it and not have to do a complete newsletter.

Thank you all for the great advice. I think I will email her and see what she says.

Tracy

Guest Chai

instead of asking why she has opted NOT to use your services... When you send the final invoice/receipt send a survey asking her how she would rank the services you provide, and ask her to list out what services does she thinks you should offer, in able to better serve your business community. Third question s/b something along the lines of would she use your services again when needed. Make sure you ask on "after service survey" if she has any referrals and leave a comment line. So you give her the opportunity to provide you with a testimonial.

Carrie

Guest Bonnie Jo Davis

I absolutely agree that you should ask for her feedback. Sometimes it is something as simple as not having the money. It's good to know this because you can agree to keep in touch and when the money situation eases she might call you back. I've had that happen with two of my clients.

Bonnie

Tracy

Some great advice given here. I just wanted to add it really is good business sense to gather feedback from clients - the ones you have as well as the ones that got away. From current clients it's a great way to do a health check on the services you provide. From clients that get away it provides opportunities for you to learn what the market's wants, needs and challenges may be - all of which will be good information for you as you move forward in your business. Unertaken in a positive spirit, it will be further evidence of your professionalism in the eyes of the clients you serve or hope to serve.