Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ink Think

Ad Buttons for Writers?

Guest Ink Think

I work with a local web designer on projects when her clients need text & copy help, and, like most web designers, she places a small logo button or text link to her site on the bottom of the pages.

I wonder if this is something that a content writer can ask for, too? Some things I write are specifically ghostwritten, but even those clients don't object to me linking to them from my site as examples of sites I've written.

Would asking for a small button/link to my site with a text credit be too much?

If it isn't, how would you phrase something like that?

Hello Dry,

The idea is novel, but you still have to take that extra measure of asking permission from your clients first before you place those ad links. Just because they didn't object doesn't mean they will allow you to do it as you wish. Unless you have a written agreement that you still retain the copyright to the ghostwritten material, it's basically theirs. Hope this helps.

Gabs

Guest mmvp
I work with a local web designer on projects when her clients need text & copy help, and, like most web designers, she places a small logo button or text link to her site on the bottom of the pages.

I think the key here is that they are the designer's clients not yours - sounds like your services are subcontracted and it's very possible that the "client" doesn't know about your involvement. In this situation, it's unlikely to be appropriate that you be given credit for the copywriting on the site.

I do exactly the same thing - a large web design firm, here where I, live subcontracts writing to me. I have gone along on client meetings with them but I'm represented to the client as part of their team and I bill the design firm not the end client. I have links to the client websites on my website, in my portfolio, as examples of my work but there is nothing on their site that confirms that I authored the copy.

What you really need to do is talk with the designer that you work with and see what she says. If it's credit that you want - then including it in your portfolio should do the trick. If it's the backlink that you're looking for for SEO purposes then ask the designer if the client would be agreeable to creating a "links" page and including a link to your site on that page.

Jill

Dy, although I have to agree with Jill *almost* completely, the one thing to remember here is that if you are a subcontractor for this web designer, then it is likely the client does not know there is another party involved *unless you know this web designer makes it clear to his/her clients that the content writing is done by a third party*.

That being said, I think it is inappropriate to put these items in your portfolio at all. If you are a subcontractor, then you are performing this work invisibly so to speak for another party and you could jeopardize the relationship if the client every came across your site. And it isn't that hard especially if they use Google Alerts to be notified when their company is mentioned online.

That being said, if you set up a separate web page just for subcontracted jobs that are not indexed by the search engines and only provide that link to potential clients as needed, then that may be a better way to go about it.

Now the flip side of the coin here is if the clients are full aware that a third party (other than the web designer) is involved with content writing, another option would be to add a Site Credits link to the clients website that will list both you and the web designer in their respective roles on a separate non-obtrusive page. You both get credit and everyone is happy.

Guest Ink Think

I guess I should clarify. I do not sub for the designer - she refers people to me, and we work together to put a better site up, but we are each contracted indivdually with the client.

My question wasn't in regard to specific sites or jobs, just in a general sense. Noticing the designer's button/link on a site made me wonder - "Hey, can a content/copy writer do that too?"

As for portfolio, almost all my contracts include a provision allowing me portfolio rights. If they don't, I don't claim it. I have several testimonials on my site from people I did ghosting for - you'll never see a link to the work, just the testimonials and a link to the client in general, if they want one.

Hi Dy,

I actually think this is a really interesting idea, and one I wouldn't mind pursuing myself!

Do you have a close enough relationship with the web designer to ask how she negotiates the design button with clients? Maybe you could start putting the same verbiage in your contract with the client. I don't think it's unreasonable, and if the designer can get credit for the design, I don't know why the writer can't get credit for the copy. Keep us posted on how you do with this.

Best,

Lauren