Sign in to follow this  

Smoker's Anonymous

Well, I have been saying for years that I was going to quit smoking before my 30th birthday and this is the year!! My birthday is in December, so I finally decided to quit putting it off and just do it... cold turkey! I had my last cigarette on Thursday, August 16th at 5:30pm on my way home from work.

I quit one other time and only lasted a month, due to all the stress I was dealing with at the time, so I figure if I make it at least 2 months this time it will be "official". I'm off to a pretty good start, the cravings haven't been that bad. I think the hardest part is just breaking the little habits that come with it. I have been very edgy. I locked myself in my office and didn't come out all weekend, more for the sake of those around me than myself. If I keep myself busy I don't think about it as much.

So, I was just wondering if there are any others out there quitting too? (I'm purposely not saying "trying to quit", someone told me once that saying you "tried" is just an excuse for giving up).

Like I said in a previous post, I quit 3 years ago, my anniversary coming up November 20th. I was a total bear (still am some days HA!) but found it does get easier each day forward. One thing I love about it is that I don't feel like a leper at parties and such having to sneak outside for a smoke. I remember not even wanting to go places because I couldn't smoke there which can really take a knock on your social life. It is amazing how cigs can control your life. I remember seeing a commercial once with this guy with a ball and chain tied around his ankle, the ball being the pic of a burning cigarette. Well that is just how I felt, like my best friend or right arm had been cut off the first weeks of quitting smoking. It does go away though so keep the courageous feat going here and I am wishing the best in your new life as a healthy one ;)

Anytime you get ancy, just come here and spout off or just type. Typing will keep your hands busy too ;)

T.

vainsiders.jpg

I quit 10 or so years ago. Just decided not to do it anymore and flushed them. No problem. I still will have one now and then with the girls if we are out have a beer or whatever. I guess I just didn't have the addiction to them. Now, Tom... ugh, he will never quit, I swear. He's quit twice, once for 3 years and once for a year, but he always takes it back up. Drives me crazy. He smells like an ashtray.

Good for you Rebecka

I think giving up because you want to rather than because you think you should is half the battle. I gave up 25 years ago after being a 20+ a day smoker (Yikes!)

One thing that really helped me was - I had a huge glass jar, and every day I would put the money I would have spent on cigarettes into the jar. Several weeks into it I still had terrible cravings and can still distinctly remember one evening finding it almost impossibe to resiste the urge to go out and buy cigarettes. Instead I emptied the jar out and counted up my money saved, by which time the urge had passed. I think it was almost a year later I happened to find an unfinished packet of cigarettes in the pocket of a jacket hanging in the closet. I threw them straight in the bin - but it was eating away at me that they were in there until eventually I had to go and retrieve them and break each cigarette into pieces to be sure I wouldn't light one up. Oh boy was I ever hooked!

Good luck. You'll feel such a sense of achievement when you've got through this.

Rebecka,

I wish you the very best in quitting smoking. I quit once for three years moved closer to my family got engaged and married, started back up and now I have been smoking for 5 years consistently, sometimes thinking about quitting again and I don't...I give in saying to myself " with all the stress in my life this is one thing I enjoy" it's awful how I can tell myself that!

Both of my kids are athletes and sophomores in HS, I don't smoke around them anymore at least not in the truck, and my husband recently got an upper respiratory infection and since then the smoke bothers him, so I smoke less (especially when I WANT to) now than I did, but I know it will be hard when I go to take that step again. I am so glad someone started a forum for this topic I look forward to reading the replies for helpful hints and how we can help one another when it's a day you just know it will taste good...but we can't give in.

Sneaking that cigarette away from my family :o

De'Ann

Rebecka, congratulations on taking this step. Like Tawnya said when you feel the urge please come here to post and let your VANA family help you get through those tough times. Remember to drink lots of water. Please keep us posted on your progress! B)

Guest Nanner

Rebecka,

Good luck to you! It sounds like you have the willpower to be successful. I quit almost 25 years ago when I got pregnant with my first baby. Never went back to it but obviously I didn't do it right because I switched to eating (mostly sugar) instead.

After he was born I learned to drink lots of water, suck on sugar-free suckers and walk alot. I also hung around people who didn't smoke. It made it harder to sneak out and puff away outside. I love the idea of saving that money in a jar. Wish I had thought to do that.

I've heard people say they keep their breath smelling good by brushing and using mouthwash. You're less apt to want to light up if your breath is fresh. I've tried keeping a white straw in my hand, holding it like a cigarette. Didn't work very well but it's worth a try. Of course after a meal is the worst so plan those times to go for a walk and do the dishes when you get back.

And of course think about your health and why you're quitting. If you have kids, you want to grow old for them. And if you don't, you want to grow old for yourself. Every clean breath you take gets you one step closer to that goal.

Hope this helps. As you can see, there are lots of people like you out there so don't feel alone. I hope you get lots of tips that will help you.

Nancy

Congrats Rebecka,

My husband smokes and is always "cutting down", whatever, I haven't figured out what that means because a couple of weeks later he's back up to where he was.

I say to him, even if you try to quit and fail, you are better off then someone who always makes excuses and never tries.

You will succeed,

Cheryl

Thank you all for the encouraging words. I knew there would be others that have or are going through the same thing. I'm glad Tawnya suggested I post about it. I've been wanting to quit for a long time, but for some reason I just couldn't let go, even though I have SEVERE allergies and knew that smoking wasn't helping and probably even making them worse.

I think just the fact that I have been "announcing" that I quit has helped, just because I am a perfectionist at everything and if I tell people I'm going to do something then I HAVE to do it.

I like Yvonne's idea about the money jar. I have to say that money was a big factor too... I cringe every time I spend $32 on a carton of cigarettes. I decided that even though I'm broke I am going to treat myself and go to Red Carpet and have my car vacuumed and cleaned (get rid of the ciggy smell) for my one week anniversary. They have a $20 deal that is real good and I'm still up $12.00 from smoking!!

Good for you. If you really have a strong desire to quite you will be successful. On Nov 1 is will be 3 years for me. My motivation was I had to save the money to buy a house. I was paying about $9/pack back then and about 5 packs a week. It was hard but I did it with zyban.

Good luck!

I think that rewarding yourself is a great idea - just be careful not to do it with food etc! Buying yourself things with the money you save is a great way to help you take your mind off it when you have the urge and also to see where your money can be spent in a positive way.

I gave up smoking about 6 or 7 years ago (I'm told that when you can't remember when you quit, that's when you've really given up - guess I'm on the right track!). For me it was a matter of not wanting to smoke anymore and that made a big difference from trying to give up just because it was 'bad' for me. I just got to a point where I decided I couldn't do it anymore.

A few years ago I heard from a reputable source (not that I ever confirmed it) that it actually only takes about 7 days for your body to rid itself of the nicotine in your system, and beyond that it is all psychological. So if that's true, distracting yourself by coming here to post etc will be a good way to keep those cravings away. Try to replace other smoking-related behaviours as well, i.e. if you have a cigarette when you have a coffee, try doing something else with your coffee instead like going to sit outside in the sun - create new habits that are healthy.

I wish you all the best with it, before you know it you'll be breathing easier and stink-free!

LJ

Wow Rebecka, that is great! Congratulations!!! I quit smoking at the beginning of 2007 - still going strong!! YIPPPEEE!!! I must admit the first month is the hardest. After that, you don't even think about them anymore. Stay strong and remember what Tawnya said "just come here and spout off or just type. Typing will keep your hands busy too ;)

Hey Rebecka, Just checking in to see how things are going.

Well, I have been saying for years that I was going to quit smoking before my 30th birthday and this is the year!! My birthday is in December, so I finally decided to quit putting it off and just do it... cold turkey! I had my last cigarette on Thursday, August 16th at 5:30pm on my way home from work.

I quit one other time and only lasted a month, due to all the stress I was dealing with at the time, so I figure if I make it at least 2 months this time it will be "official". I'm off to a pretty good start, the cravings haven't been that bad. I think the hardest part is just breaking the little habits that come with it. I have been very edgy. I locked myself in my office and didn't come out all weekend, more for the sake of those around me than myself. If I keep myself busy I don't think about it as much.

So, I was just wondering if there are any others out there quitting too? (I'm purposely not saying "trying to quit", someone told me once that saying you "tried" is just an excuse for giving up).

Congratulations. I am so proud of you. You will have better health for you and your family, more money, cleaner house, clothes and car.

I looked for this thread last week because we are going through withdrawals for a much less threatening issue: We shut off the DISH TV! The guy couldn't understand that I wanted to shut it off because we just didn't want to watch something that was working fine. We are looking forward to the enriching time and pocketbook!

I can almost feel your pain!