Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ink Think

Is Real Estate Support Certification worth it

Guest Ink Think

I answer a ton of ads each week as part of my effort to build my client base and a number of them are from real estate agents looking for writers to work on listings, content articles, testimonials (editing), and their own web and brochure content. I already write, and lately have had some solid nibbles from this market.

Do any of you RE gurus think that adding this certification might make my services more appealing to this market? AND, if so, what am I looking at? I know nothing about RE despite having bought two houses...

Thanks!

dy

Edited by Ink Think

Hey Dy!

Congratulations on your "solid nibbles", that's very exciting. As far as certification, this is a tricky one really. Everyone views certification differently and in my experience Realtors are no exception, however if you are responding to ads for a "writer" then maybe a RE certification isn't necessary as you are being evaluated on your "writing" capabilites.

With that said, certification might not be a bad idea if you plan to make the transition into other RE related tasks. This is where Realtors may want to know that you have the training and experience in that field. If you want to check out a great RE Certification program you should visit the IREAA website.

HTH

B)

I have the IVAA CRESS - I did it simply because I have a lot of RE clients (bookkeeping though). Quite a few were impressed when I told them because they knew it meant I understood their industry and what their specific needs were. It was HARD though. I'm glad I studied. I worked in RE for a very brief time, but I had to a lot to learn to get the certification.

Hi,

Don't think of it in terms of only obtaining a certification but in terms of the information you will learn.

- Will the trainer and course teach you how to provide efficient and effective services to agents?

- Will the training provide ongoing resources, tools, networking opportunities, and long term support when you are stuck between a rock and a hard place?

- Are you given the opportunity to interact with the trainer(s) and others in the class so you can ask questions?

- How responsive are the trainers to your needs?

- What happens after training?

Training goes two ways. You can either take training because you have the desire to learn more and excel at what you do and the services you provide, or you can take training because you want a certification and don't have the desire to learn.

If the desire is to have a logo and/or a certificate, then I would suggest that anyone looking at any real estate assistant training program look at another line of work. Never take a training for a certificate or logo.

Just my two cents,

I completely agree with Carolyn. Certification is more than a logo on your website unless that is all you want. Taking the courses necessary for these certs are so full of information that can only help you in your business. Some clients may be 'impressed' with certs but if you can't deliver then they are meaningless.